Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yolk vs DIN

Default Yolk vs DIN

I know the obvious differences but I can't decide if I want to spend the money to convert my reg to DIN. I just picked up a steel HP100 with a din valve for $70. So I couldn't pass it up, but it's going to cost $100-120 to convert my reg to din with the yolk adapter. Just would like a little input. It seems like the converter for din to yolk pushes the reg against your head, just wonder if that's true.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Depends on what kind of diving you will be doing with the tank!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Country
    USA

Yoke sure seems to be an odd design. With DIN the o-ring is quite captured and the 1st stage is lighter and more compact.

very true and the tank is a lot nicer. It's mostly recreational diving so either way would be fine. I'll probably convert it. Does anyone know of any good site to buy conversions for a scubapro MK25?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Or if you would like to save money (or make some money) you can just buy a new yolk valve for you cylinder and sell the din valve for just as much or more than you bought the yolk valve for. Plus you can still use your regulator on other cylinders that have yolk(and most do .....at least in the states.)

Ace I was think about that but the guy at the LDS said o rings blow out all the time with the extra pressure and it's bad for the reg. Don't know if that's true, any opinions?

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Here is my take, If you got a good deal sell it and get a low pressure tank if you boat dive a lot. If it is a 3500 psi tank you have to find some one to slow fill to that psi. If the tank is a 100 filled to 3250psi cold then you are 10% short or 90qft or only 10 more qft than an 80. Also it is impossible to get a boat to pump that high on a fast fill you will be lucky to get 3000psi! So if you do this kind of California diving the sell it and by a low pressure 2400psa 105qft. filled to 3000psi, which anyone can do even a boat, it cools to 2800psi you are almost 20% above 105qft or about 125qft of air! One and half times that of an 80! Then you can really impress your friends on those 2.5hr dives! So I say sell it! and buy another tank!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Sorry, maybe i've got the wrong end of the stick here but, to convert a DIN valve to take yoke - otherwise known as A clamp- regs merely requires a small adapter that just screws into the DIN valve ? The result is exactly the same as a normal yoke configuration. It is the other way around that requires the addition of a large and expensive adapter that increase the size of the whole 1st stage assembly.
    Personally, I've got DIN valves and regs. the main advantages for me are: only one O ring required no matter how many cylinders i'm using over the day, a much more secure fitting, absolutely no danger of knocking it off passing through a tight space etc. The only possible disadvantages are: possible incompatability issues with Yoke valves when travelling, the possibility of jamming the reg into the valve if you hit it hard enough when passing through a tight space.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Registered Users

Default Rings blow and bad for teg

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    Ace I was think about that but the guy at the LDS said o rings blow out all the time with the extra pressure and it's bad for the reg. Don't know if that's true, any opinions?
    That is correct. O-Rings blow and the wear and tear on the Reg with High Pressure.

Look at what you are trying to accomplish, is is "time", is it "Safety" is it ...
    "etc..." and go with that.

I prefer DIN personally and carry the converter when traveling.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I really like Papa Bear's idea, but you may not. As far as it being bad for your regulator, it has nothing to do with the valve, but to do with the higher pressure.

You have more than a few choices here on what you can do, so now the bottom line is up to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast