Thread: Ds4

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Default Ds4

I'd like to hear opinions on the Aqualung/Apeks DS4. I'm sure it is a good reg. Is it easy to work on? They are on sale right now.

Country
    USA

On one hand I wonder if regulators are just the flavor of the month amongst tech divers, as right now the Poseidon stuff seems in vogue, although a great regulator, but so does the Apeks offerings, and my pair of DS4's on bailout bottles work great.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    I'd like to hear opinions on the Aqualung/Apeks DS4. I'm sure it is a good reg. Is it easy to work on? They are on sale right now.
    Extremely easy to service snake, and parts are not too difficult to find for them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher
    On one hand I wonder if regulators are just the flavor of the month amongst tech divers, as right now the Poseidon stuff seems in vogue, although a great regulator, but so does the Apeks offerings, and my pair of DS4's on bailout bottles work great.
    Poseidon are great regs, but they can be a real pain to service. Parts are often difficult to attain and ridiculously expensive, plus there are the special tools required. I have heard of Poseidons going as long as 10 years (yes, regular use) without being serviced, but when the time comes it will make annual service on other makes look like a walk in the park.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I had issues with my Aqualung High pressure seat I blew three in 2 years and switched to and Xcess SCUBA first stage and it has been dead on for three years and passes all the bench flow tests and breathing demand tests. I still use the Second stage and agree with BCD that if you find something that works thats what counts because most all work on the same principle and simple is usually best!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

oops sorry I guess it was the Publisher! I still agree with most cave divers most of the time!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    I had issues with my Aqualung High pressure seat I blew three in 2 years and switched to and Xcess SCUBA first stage and it has been dead on for three years and passes all the bench flow tests and breathing demand tests. I still use the Second stage and agree with BCD that if you find something that works thats what counts because most all work on the same principle and simple is usually best!
    I have heard of other complaints pertaining to the HP seats going on DS4's after relatively short periods of use. Currently I only use an XTX50 second paired up with a DR first, with everything else being all DR (my MK25/S600's have been claimed by the other half recently.) I like the DR regs as they breathe as good as any others I have used and parts are relatively inexpensive and easily attainable. You are right PB, it is all about what works (and can be kept in working order.)