Thread: Buying a new suit

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    My wife actually has a Moby's dry suit and she really loves it. They did make some really strange dry suits, but this is a regular tri-lam suit. It is very basic, but it works perfectly.....so far that is. Hopefully we don't have any problems with it as the company is no longer in business, and for that reason alone I have to agree with Bama on not recommending it, unless you get a deal like we did. It was a new suit in the dive shop, but old stock and I think we paid somewhere between $500-$600 USD. If you know dry suits, then you know a new Tri-Lam suit is going to be a lot more than that.

Anyway, Seasnake, what type of diving and conditions do you plan on using the dry suit with? That is going to be the biggest factor.
    I think Moby's is still in business, but it was acquired by Parkways (?) of Canada a few years back. I have seen some better looking Moby's suits since then (neoprene), but after my initial experience with the brand I opted to just give them a glance rather than a thorough inspection. My problems were the seams coming apart and the boots being difficult to get on and off (my left foot is paralyzed, so the higher, stiffer boots were a real PITA for me. I have no idea how customer service is today (since the buy out), but it was non-existent when I owned mine. My cave instructor used to dive a Moby's two-piece (water proof inner shell velcroed to an abrasion resistant outer shell) and I swear that thing looked worse than wearing a trash bag (and he said it swam worse as well.)

Dry suit? As most divers will only have owned one or two suits you'll need lots of replies to get a good feel for what's best of the available suits?

FWIW I use a Gates PRO-VSN 1100 (now ownde/operating unnder the name of Hunter) which was expensive (UK£650 about 10 years ago) but is made out of a type of trick material that is stretchy. All I can really offer by way of advice is get a MTM (unless you are a stock size) and that a tri-laminate type suit generally seem to be a lot more flexible.

Are you certain your shrinking suit and restricted movement aren't as a result of a poorly fitting undersuit?

Pee valve? Well, I applaud the principal, after all fish wee in the see all the time so it's good to get ones own back, I imagine. If you do go for one make sure you don't get the catheter tube kinked. I've heard it is very distressing if you give a squeeze expecting relief only to find a blockage!!! Shudder, a most unpleasant experience methinks?

Latex hoods? I use a full face mask and I bought one in order to make seating the mask onto the hood much easier. To prevent problems with equalizing my ears the hood cam with a cut back inner hood made out of under suit type material and a chin strap to hold it in place. I found the combination of trying to get both on and in the right place + keeping my hair (long) under the hood too much of a pain and gave up with it.

Going back to your suit option. I would be prepared to spend more than you really want to in order to get a good suit. After all, it is crucial to your comfort, safety, dive boat cred and protection and it should last for the rest of your diving life (further shrinkage notwithstanding).

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    I think Moby's is still in business, but it was acquired by Parkways (?) of Canada a few years back. I..... My cave instructor used to dive a Moby's two-piece (water proof inner shell velcroed to an abrasion resistant outer shell) and I swear that thing looked worse than wearing a trash bag (and he said it swam worse as well.)
    No, they definately went out of business. In fact there are more than a few people that are still trying to get a refund for custom suits they paid for and of course did not get when the company went under.

There is a guy that worked for them when they were in business, and now he is doing repairs on them and actually has replacement parts, but he is not affiliated with the old owners.

And the shell and liner dry suit is the one that they made that I thought was a bad idea, but never dove it so I will take your bud's word for it.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Snake, Re the weezles blockage of dump valves. I've heard of a few people who have had this problem, the most common solution appears to be some duct tape wrapped around the arm of the suit that corresponds to the valve position.
    HTH
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12