Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The End of Split Fins?

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

hey

well, I have several types of fins: Mares Quaro's, Mares Volo, Vollo Power and XS Turtle fins.

i have dived splits, like the Vollo's and vollo powers, if you kick with force, they wont do much, and we, being used to get speed for our efforts, feel like we rent getting anywhere, with Quatro's and Turtle fins on the other hand, i feel i get much much more thrust andstability with.

in a pool, calm or currentless waters or snorkling, the splits and Vollo's are great fo me, dont even feel them on.... BUT..... when loaded up with tanks, teaching, fighting currents, i cant seem to get anywhere with them, same goes for the Scubapro Twinjets, didnt take with'em, god knows i tried

so, i prefer the bladed fins.
    On the other hand, the head Diving officer at my place of work, has been a diving instructor and in dive business for over 35 years swears by them and wont even touch a bladed fin, he dives deco dives, MEG CCR dives with them and they are th best thing that has ever happend with fin tech in his eyes, so, go figure lol
    to each his own in the end, right?

ove my Quatro's and Turtles

The point is prefrence. Splits work for me and I am happy with them, would buy another pair.

I dive my splits exclusively, and I like them. Stability is not an issue, and I have control. I dive dry and wet. I know if I get into a strong current I will have to work but I move. For what it is worth I go about 250. (I don't lug a camera though)

I have admitted that they are harder to use in a current. But they work for me, and I have no issue if they do not work for you. I do not think they are a gimmick. But it is also the type of diving I do that might lend themselves to me. As far as the gym comment - good advise wiether you use split or not. I relize I am out numbered but as I stated earlier I will be at Dutch Springs the weekend of May 17-18th, if you want to try 'em there....
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234