Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The End of Split Fins?

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I found some really good rubber glue in case someone wants to glue their split-fins back together! It really works and then you get to use your fins and move forward at the same time!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Ha! That is too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    I found some really good rubber glue in case someone wants to glue their split-fins back together! It really works and then you get to use your fins and move forward at the same time!
    Wow, that was hurtful...funny ...but hurtful...
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I thought everyone likes them because they say they "Don't hurt!"
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

I never been hit with one...
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    I could have told you that and I don't even have a Crystal Ball Just a Reed's Rod! I think its a Caribbean Vs Caribbean thing! I guess the older you get you need to take it easy on the old legs! I would recommend splits for the infirm!
    I wonder if they are covered in the same category as crutches & if my insurance would cover them? In that same vein, would a DPV also be covered under the same category as a scooter? lol

Are they really easier on the legs?

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

I've got split fins and non-split (solid?) anyway, I find the split fins are easier on the legs, but as was implied earlier in the thread, they don't have the same power. I guess it depends on the diving you are doing and personal preference. See if you can borrow some and try them out.
    I've seen some pretty fancy looking fins lately that look like they have little pistons in the blades. Can't remember the manufacturer, anyone used them, any reports? Just curious to know if they are an improvement in technology or just marketing.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    I wonder if they are covered in the same category as crutches & if my insurance would cover them? In that same vein, would a DPV also be covered under the same category as a scooter? lol

Are they really easier on the legs?
    They are, in that vain you could duct tape two fly swatters on your booties and they would be very easy on your legs!

I own a pair of Oceanic Split-fins and use them with my Dry suit and they suck! No stability, trim, control, and try to hold up a 45lb camera in the vertical position! Give me a good blade anytime! Even better for swatting flies! They have no reason to exist other than to sell people a gimmick to take the place of good pool or water work! If you do 500 meters a day with your blades you will feel better and be in better shape as well as have better skills! Trade the split-fins for a gym membership!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

From all I have been reading (from people that actually have used them), they seem to be better suited for the "lighter divers". They seem to work well for a lot of divers that are in warmer waters and require much less gear.

I know a few guys up here in the cold that say they really are not too good, just like Papa Bear said and for the same reasons. They just don't have the power that the traditional fins have to push a wreck diver wearing a dry suit and covered with wreck diving gear (that could include multiple lift bags, multiple reels and up lines, multiple cylinders, heavy hammers, chisels, crow-bars, multiple lights, and more).

I still like the old standard like the turtles, jet fins, or turbo-flex's. They are medium length, fairly stiff, and provide lots of power. That being said, I still have not tried the split fins yet. They might be just what I need for my travel diving?

City
    Mesa
    State
    Arizona
    Country
    USA

I'm a 200 lbs diver and recently tried a set of splits.
    I was in San Carlos wearing 7mm wetsuit and using 34 lbs of lead.
    After 10 minutes of kicking and feeling like I was hardly moving I decided that I much prefer my solids.
    Opinions are like Gas... You're entitled to have some but people appreciate your keeping it to yourself if it stinks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast