Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End of Split Fins?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    Does it have Reverse? Can you go backwards?
    Why? I don't know..... Just a thought...
    Looking for a cheap colonic?

Registered Users

Default Now there's a

Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post
    Looking for a cheap colonic?
    Hey! You may have something there...
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

After 38 years in jet fins, I have finally put them on a high shelf. I much prefer my twin speed splits.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I could have told you that and I don't even have a Crystal Ball Just a Reed's Rod! I think its a Caribbean Vs Caribbean thing! I guess the older you get you need to take it easy on the old legs! I would recommend splits for the infirm!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

interesting concept

Registered Users

It's nothing more than an update of the "Aqueon", developed in the early 1970s. The Aqueon never really caught on, despite the testimonials of a few enthusiasts from that era. See:

http://www.innerspacethrusters.com/Aqueon.htm

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Right out of the News: Jarred Flybottm set a new depth record this week in Grand Cayman. He contributed the use of split fins to his new record of 1278.5 FSW on the south side of the island. “If I would have known about these split fins earlier I would have made 1500ft by now” when asked why the rest of the Free-Diving sport has resisted using these propulsion miracles he responded “There just too afraid to go that deep” he also said that “the extra weight acted like a sled pushing him further than he expected” all the way to the new record.

In a related story cave divers who don’t want to be followed into their special cave are using split fins in greater numbers! “Who needs to see in a cave? It’s dark in those places anyway and there is nothing to see!”

Think I will get me a pair of them!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    I could have told you that and I don't even have a Crystal Ball Just a Reed's Rod! I think its a Caribbean Vs Caribbean thing! I guess the older you get you need to take it easy on the old legs! I would recommend splits for the infirm!
    I wonder if they are covered in the same category as crutches & if my insurance would cover them? In that same vein, would a DPV also be covered under the same category as a scooter? lol

Are they really easier on the legs?

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

I've got split fins and non-split (solid?) anyway, I find the split fins are easier on the legs, but as was implied earlier in the thread, they don't have the same power. I guess it depends on the diving you are doing and personal preference. See if you can borrow some and try them out.
    I've seen some pretty fancy looking fins lately that look like they have little pistons in the blades. Can't remember the manufacturer, anyone used them, any reports? Just curious to know if they are an improvement in technology or just marketing.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    I wonder if they are covered in the same category as crutches & if my insurance would cover them? In that same vein, would a DPV also be covered under the same category as a scooter? lol

Are they really easier on the legs?
    They are, in that vain you could duct tape two fly swatters on your booties and they would be very easy on your legs!

I own a pair of Oceanic Split-fins and use them with my Dry suit and they suck! No stability, trim, control, and try to hold up a 45lb camera in the vertical position! Give me a good blade anytime! Even better for swatting flies! They have no reason to exist other than to sell people a gimmick to take the place of good pool or water work! If you do 500 meters a day with your blades you will feel better and be in better shape as well as have better skills! Trade the split-fins for a gym membership!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast