Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dive Boat - Not a DPV, or is it?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by thalassamania View Post
    For 10 miles off shore the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM I'd consider is a 17 ft Zodiac with small twin outboards. A RIB is a better bet, but as you get into the 20 foot range a pure inflatable with a center console and medium size twins can become an attractive package.
    I figured that out already, and decided 10 miles offshore is not in my price range. I opted to get the family fun boat that will go to the near shore dive sites and provide a lot of general boating fun. For the cost, it just makes sense to pay the charter for those long trips.

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I thought of a great name "Ace Hole" , but my wife did not seem to like it very much.
    Ace-

You made me laugh my ace off with that one! You are a sick dude. I like that.

Sharks, huh? How about "Hammered Head". That seems to fit. Or if you want to keep them guessing, "Selachimorpha".

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

My decision about the whole boat thing is to put three-quarters of the money I used to spend on the boat in a year into a bank account and then rent a boat whenever I want one. You know what? There's always money left over at the end of the year.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

My decision about the whole boat thing is to put three-quarters of the money I used to spend on the boat in a year into a bank account and then rent a boat whenever I want one. You know what? There's always money left over at the end of the year.
    LOL, That sounds about right, BUT.... Now that I have already paid for it, I will use it a lot. If I had to rent, I would most likely not go out often if at all. I don't know how much they charge for boat rentals where you live, but to rent a boat similar to the one I bought is $375/day plus fuel. Each day is like a monthly boat payment, so 12 times per year and you own the boat. Plus you can't sell a rental boat after you decide you no longer want it. Of course there are other costs involved, but my payment is not going to be nearly that much.

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

LOL, That sounds about right, BUT.... Now that I have already paid for it, I will use it a lot. If I had to rent, I would most likely not go out often if at all. I don't know how much they charge for boat rentals where you live, but to rent a boat similar to the one I bought is $375/day plus fuel. Each day is like a monthly boat payment, so 12 times per year and you own the boat. Plus you can't sell a rental boat after you decide you no longer want it. Of course there are other costs involved, but my payment is not going to be nearly that much.
    I hope you enjoy it and it helps you to do enough diving to make the equation work in your favor.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I hope you enjoy it and it helps you to do enough diving to make the equation work in your favor.
    Thanks, even if the equation does not work in my favor I am sure it will be a blast. I know my friends (who don't own or pay for a boat) will love it. Isn't that always the case though?

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

Thanks, even if the equation does not work in my favor I am sure it will be a blast. I know my friends (who don't own or pay for a boat) will love it. Isn't that always the case though?
    Freeloading on the freeboard is a rather different equation.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I have always had boats in the family growing up, and I know that should ALWAYS be part of the equation. Funny how non boat owners can't even fathom the cost of fuel. They just think it uses fuel like a little motorcycle or something. Then again before I thought about a dry suit I would have never believed they were as expensive as they are....guess what?!

I just finished mounting the trailer hitch on the tow vehicle today, tomorrow I will do the electrical harness. Hopefully I will be out on the water before the weekend is out!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

But where are the pictures!!!???
    -- "I'd like to be ... under the sea ... In an octopus' garden ... in the shade ..."

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    But where are the pictures!!!???
    I have to go and pick the new boat up before I can take and post pictures. I am supposed to go this weekend, but I was just informed that the boat might take another day or two to finish prepping. I really wanted it this weekend, but it is raining anyway, so no worries I guess.

Names people, Names.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast