Thread: Dive Boat - Not a DPV, or is it?

Hybrid View

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I will let you know. I am still in the process of shopping and looking at my options. I figure this is the time of year to do it as the boating season is near the end. I know there should be some good deals on leftover models as well as some used boats.

I have always loved Boston Whalers, but as I am sure you know they are very expensive compaired to similar boats. I know you get what you pay for though.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

My friend and I dive out of a 14' inflatable. We have had four divers in it and if packed right it works great. Very stable, easy to climb in and out of. (as mentioned in another thread, we hang lanyards with ss clips over the side before we splash, and when you get back to the boat just clip your gear off before climbing in.)
    I worked on a project last year where we had a 24' RHIB with twin 90's on the back. 6-8 divers with 5 tanks each no problem, and the same stability and ease of ingress/egress. And the thing would scoot, too!

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

In the UK, most club diving - and, one or two, commercial operations- use RHIB's. Fast, stable, capable of carrying up to 8 divers + kit and able to travel a fair way off shore - with the proper safety equipment, of course! -.
    Their main disadvantage is the fact that you are totally exposed to the elements, but in appropriate diving apparel, this is not a major issue. Many UK dive clubs operate all year round in almost all conditions and sea states.

Here in Australia, recreational boating is a big thing, and 5-6m half-cabin or central console aluminium cruisers, or "Tinnies" are very popular.
    A boat is on my own -far future- shopping list. At a local boat show last year, I came within a whisker of buying a brand new 6m half cabin cruiser with 250 Mercury outboard, GPS, VHF, all the safety gear and trailer. I was actually sat, pen in hand, with all the paperwork spread out in front of me, the salesman nodding encouragingly when the insistent voice of my conscience broke through my reverie and shouted.
    "What the Hell are you doing? ! You haven't got $50,000!".
    Thankfully, I listened or my wife would have killed me!
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.