Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighting around

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Default Weighting around

Dear Users

Could anyone tell me who uses a pouch type weightbelt if they are more comfortable than the basic waist type that you thread the lead tablets onto:c

Before I invest the extra cash I would like to know if there area any less obvious advantages?

Thanks all

Andy

Country
    USA

It depends on the thickness of your drysuit undergarment, and the type of weight you use.

If you don't find yourself changing total weight around much, then they are much more comfortable on the hips, especially for multiple long dive, multi day trips.

Of course, the ultimate in comfort is BC integrated weight pouches, but that is my personal experience.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I feel differently.

I started with a standard weight belt. I really did not like using the weight belt, but had no problems with it.

Then I decided to upgrade to one of the weight belts that held bags of shot. I found that was much more uncomfortable. Maybe if you only use a small amount of weight in it, but with all of my cold water gear, it needed to be packed with weight. Now my wife uses (and complains about) it.

I gave it to my wife, because I upgraded to a weight integrated BC. At first I thought it was the greatest thing. Then after time, I began to understand why it was not the best solution. The first thing is that the weight was not in the best locations. The other thing is it made my bc very difficult to lift/put on/take off/ move around the boat ect.

Recently on a dive, I needed to add some weight due to different gear. I had no choice but to add a weight belt to my setup. All I had to use was a regular style weight belt.

After putting on the regular weight belt, I felt so much better than with the weight integration. Anyway to make a long story short, I just went out an bought another weight belt. It is the plain old style web belt, but I added 2 metal buckles and 2 D- rings. I am much happier with this setup now.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Love mine especially for travel. Covenant and comfortable really easy to load and unload as well as minor adjustments. I give them a solid 9 or 10 on a 10 scale. The think that impresses me the most is you don't even think about it, that means it is doing it's job! I recommend them highly!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users

Default They all serve a purpose

Which is yours?
    I too started out with the traditional lead weight weaved through a belt.
    Then I tried the pocket weight belt and found it more convenient. I could
    easily add or remove weight without having to remove weight from the
    weaved version.
    THen I tried integrated.. OK< kewl when you first start, but as stated,
    I agree that the position of the weight, it's location as well as the added weight
    to change gear, BCD on a boat was very heavy. More so than without any
    weights in the BCD wieght pocket.
    Now I tried the weight belt with a zipper and a number of pockets. I found
    this comfortable and convenient. So much so I bought 8 of them.
    Why 8, because I loose gear.. If you every want any gear, come dive with me. lol.
    They are easy to pack and almost any type of weight will fit in them.

Cheers,
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post

Of course, the ultimate in comfort is BC integrated weight pouches, but that is my personal experience.
    Actually, the most comfort is no weights at all.
    It's a tropical water thing!
    Last edited by Tigerbeach; 09-19-2007 at 05:17 AM. Reason: goofed up, of course!
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    No, the ultimate in comfort is diving starkers, unless of course:

1. The triggerfish are nesting.

2. The moray eels are hungry for hot dogs, divers thumbs or "whatever" and you end up being "that Eunuch scuba guy on YouTube" worse off then "that YouTube scuba guy with a toe for a thumb courtesy of Mr. Moray".

3. The guys are faced with skinny dip diving in cold water, although the sole upside to that would be the hungry moray eels thankfully lose interest in snacks deemed too dimunitive, although worse then all:

4. You could then end up being" That Naked Diver Guy in YouTube sporting a 1940's Ford pickup truck dash mounted starter button".

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

I dive a Scubapro 4 pocket weightbelt. I never really felt comfortable with the threaded blocks and found that the pocket belt with shot bags dug into my hips less. As I dive with a BP&W, I can't comment on the weight integrated BCD's. Another advantage is that as I have become more comfortable in the water I have been able to lose a fair bit of weight from my belt and now have a couple of empty pockets. Quite useful for things like car keys, small tools etc.
    If you are diving much in the UK and get one of these belts, I recommend adding a D ring to it. I added one and got my mate to hang a short line with an attatched boltsnap over the side of his RIB. Clip botsnap to ring, remove weightbelt, remove scuba unit, climb into RIB, haul up unit and belt, job done!
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks Publisher & all who replied, forgive my Englishness but I didn't understand the reference to the pick up truck?

Can you enlighten me?

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    I totally agree, except for the part that it is a tropical thing. I prefer a backplate and steel cylinders, puts the weight where it does the most good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast