View Poll Results: Should breathing off cylinder drill sbe taught?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is a useful drill, so yes

6 42.86%
  • This is a useless drill, but yes anyway

4 28.57%
  • This is a a useless drill, no

4 28.57%
  • Can someone give me the tel # to the applicants lawyers assoc?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breathing directly off cyl valve-useful?

Default Breathing directly off cyl valve-useful?

Our publisher told me that when he was originally certified by NASDS, removing the 1st stage, and breathing directly off the cylinder valve was a skill all were trained to do.

Do you think this drill is some rediculous practice with no benefit, or is this in some way valuable?

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I learned it back in 1972 when I was certified NAUI, PADI, & LA County. It can be useful in an accent during a catastrophic equipment failure and it does show you that you can survive if you don't panic! I would rather see it practiced without taking off the reg underwater with a spare tank though!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I don't know how usefull it really is, how practical, or how necessary if you practice proper diving techniques including the buddy system or other proper methods.

It does sound like a cool thing to try, and like Papa Bear stated, if you can learn that, you should be well past the panic issue. I also have to agree that it would be much better to practice with a spare cylinder because taking off your 1st stage while submerged will cause water to enter your 1st stage. Of course you know that this would require servicing at the minimum.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

I, too, learned this; we put a tank on the bottom of the pool and free dove down to practice. ( just crack the valve slowly, and slurp the air in...)
    After a bit of practice, we were taught how to blow perfect air rings after breathing from the tank valve, too!
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Sorry, but I voted no to this. I'm sure that this is a fantastic party trick but I can't think of a single real world circumstance where this would be of any practical value.
    In the event of a catastrophic 1st stage failure, if you've the time and the air to, remove Scuba unit, close your tank valve, purge your regulator, remove your 1st stage and then start breathing off your cylinder valve, then you've got enough time and air to make it to the surface. If you havn't, then you should be diving with enough redundancy to deal with the failure.

Just my 2 bobs worth.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I doubt that it is as useful today as it was back in the 60's and 70's when the market saw both upstream and downstream regualtor designs, but I still consider it one of the more important skills that I have learned over the years and practice it every now and then. Today it has taken on somewhat of a different twist as we have learned to swap a functioning reg from an empty cylinder to a full cylinder (yes, swapping regs underwater does mean that you will need to do a rebuild beofre the next use.) The whole idea is to be capable of accessing all breathable gas supplies without panicing. As for doing an emergency ascent in OW, I would much rather be able to make a nice, slow, controlled ascent and include safety stops as well as any deco stops that I may have incurred during my dive

City
    Toronto
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    I doubt that it is as useful today as it was back in the 60's and 70's when the market saw both upstream and downstream regualtor designs, but I still consider it one of the more important skills that I have learned over the years and practice it every now and then. Today it has taken on somewhat of a different twist as we have learned to swap a functioning reg from an empty cylinder to a full cylinder (yes, swapping regs underwater does mean that you will need to do a rebuild beofre the next use.) The whole idea is to be capable of accessing all breathable gas supplies without panicing. As for doing an emergency ascent in OW, I would much rather be able to make a nice, slow, controlled ascent and include safety stops as well as any deco stops that I may have incurred during my dive
    Well put!
    DITTO

Cornel
    Protect SHARKS!

Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards!

NEVER STOP LEARNING

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Well, to be fair, swapping regs over is a different kettle of fish from breathing directly off a cylinder valve.
    Yes, we would all prefer to do a proper safe ascent, but at the fertiliser/fan interface when the only other choice is breathing water then a CESA or even dropping weights are perfectly viable alternative. As to deco commitments, Ok I don't do deco dives yet, but AIUI, redundancy, gas management and proper buddy procedures are all there to help you ,long before you get to the party trick stage. If you have managed to fall far enough down the incident pit that stripping your reg of a cylinder and breathing directly from the valve is the best idea you've got then I would suggest that you seriously reconsider the sort of diving that you're doing.

Again, just my 2 pfennigs worth. YMMV

Dive safe
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    BCD has the right idea, it is about the discipline, and the fact that a malfunction isn't the end of your life. These are confidence building drills that help make a better diver. I have had my HP seat go out causing a massive free flow, but because of this type of training I knew what to do and know that if I can breath off the tank then I can certainly breath off a hose end or a free flowing reg. Does everyone need this, no only those wanting to learn more, as part of Advanced or Master Dive I would say yes! Just as a drill, like TB said, then learn to blow bubbles rings! Anything you can do underwater to make you more at home and comfortable is worth something!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    BCD has the right idea, it is about the discipline, and the fact that a malfunction isn't the end of your life. These are confidence building drills that help make a better diver. I have had my HP seat go out causing a massive free flow, but because of this type of training I knew what to do and know that if I can breath off the tank then I can certainly breath off a hose end or a free flowing reg. Does everyone need this, no only those wanting to learn more, as part of Advanced or Master Dive I would say yes! Just as a drill, like TB said, then learn to blow bubbles rings! Anything you can do underwater to make you more at home and comfortable is worth something!
    Exactly PB, panic will kill you faster than anything. I know I can feather a valve to breathe off a free flowing reg, I know I can change regs, and I know I can breathe directly from the valve orfice should a situation ever develop, so I know that I can always reach the surface without fear. Chamber rides are long, boring, uncomfortable, and expensive. You always have to remember that safe ascent rates, deco algorithms (including no-deco limits), and everything else that is supposed to keep us safe underwater is at best a guess based upon fit and healthy young men doing the dives (and even the young and fit get bent as well as die.) I have yet to see any diver that can do a proper ESA from any depth below perhaps 20ft; most rocket to the surface and many keep more air in their lungs than they should. That's when they are practicing, so guess what is going to happen once the cacca starts flying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast