Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about watches?

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Default What about watches?

Hi all

This section says it covers watches, but there's no mention; have they been outdated by computers, or can you still run a basic dive with one?

If anyone uses a watch without a computer,are there any models to avoid?

Thanks

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Andy, I dive with both a computer and a watch. In the event of your computer going mammaries uppermost, then you can use a watch in conjunction with an independent depth gauge and your tables to carry on the dive or at least ascend safely. This has never happened to me ,(yet ), but I tend towards the principal of 'better to have it and not need it than the other way round'.

As far as the various models etc, all I can say is ignore anything that is rated for less than 200m. The ones that say 50m will leak in the shower, 100m ones are ok for snorkelling but little else.
    Doubtless, somebody else will be along in a minute with much better information.

Dive safe.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I am glad you started this thread. I have been looking for a new watch for diving, but want to be able to wear it as a regular watch.

I have looked at the Luminox watches and the St. Mortiz watches, but I am really not sure. I just don't want anything digital, and I want to be able to put on a velcro/nylon type band.

Anyone have any word on a reasonable priced dive watch that they actually have or had? I have a Rolly, and it is definatley made for the task, but I still would not wear it diving. I can't imagine loosing that!

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Ace,

I don't use a computer yet; I was going to post a question about the new Suunto D9. Do you or anyone elso out there have infor, good or bad?

About your question. I use my Citizen Ecodrive watch (titanium bracelet). It is rated for 20 BAR, has not leaked yet. I bang the darn thing on everything topside, play football, ski, surf, etc., and nothing. Not a scratch anywhere except the bottom of the clasp. Never had to set or adjust it except for DST, but other than that, accurate to the minute all year when comparing to my atomic clock at home. I use to when I go diving in conjunction with my gague cluster and tables. Like I said, looking to move into the 21st century with a computer.

I love my watch. My wife wants me to switch off and wear my Movado or others for a change, but I love this thing. It looks great, works great, and is durable for my active lifestyle.

Hope I helped. Here is a link to the one I have... actually, they don't make it anymore. It's 9 years old, looks like it came out of the box last month. It's actually the reason I held off buying a dive computer so long.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I did not see the link, but I think I know the watch. It is a pricy little bugger too.

As far as the D(, I don't know much about it. I use a computer myself and would never go back to tables unless I had to for some reason. I just want a watch, because I want a new watch.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I use a Timex Ironman rated to 200m available at Wal-Mart for about $30.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Yea' I thought about going that route, of course it would be no worries about loosing it or breaking it. I wanted something with a little more style (the style I like). Something that resembles a divers watch. You know the type with traditional hands and the rotating bezel with the number markings on it.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I have been really happy with my Citizen HyperAqualand, but don't dive it much these days (I think the other half has laid claim to it now that she is certified.) If you go this route be sure to change over to something like the Waterbourne band to reduce the risk of loosing it at depth due to a broken pin. The only negative aspect of the Citizen line is the crystals take scratches really easy and are expensive to get replaced; use a bit of self-laminating film over the crystal and replace as necessary. There are a number of computers out today that are the size of a dive watch and can be worn as a watch when you are back in your bipedal mode. When diving I typically just use my Nitek 3 backed up by a bottom timer with tables.

Registered Users

Hi all, Watch is like as one friend.. It feel me space of vacancy of friend. I can be perfectionist in my time session and work due to watch. While i have no watch, that day i get late and trouble lots of without it..

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by brunoncyryl View Post
    Hi all, Watch is like as one friend.. It feel me space of vacancy of friend. I can be perfectionist in my time session and work due to watch. While i have no watch, that day i get late and trouble lots of without it..
    You have me a bit confused, maybe it is the language barrier, but I am really lost here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast