Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife advice

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Default Knife advice

Hi members, what are yout thoughts on knife brands and where they should be; I see a lot of divers with then strapped to the leg, yet heard they are better on your BCD nearer to grab when needed.

Also what about the scissor type you can get?

Thanks

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Andy,
    I've got a little, chisel pointed Tusa knife that sits on my LP hose where I can reach it with either hand. I've also got a set of EMT shears on a bungee in my pocket.

I personally believe that those divers who carry enormous great 'katanas' strapped to their legs are probably compensating for something! IMHO 99% of the time, the only thing that you will need a knife for is to cut yourself or your buddy free from fishing line etc. A small, sharp blade that can be reached with either hand is all you need.

Of course, if attacks by underwater ninjas are a big problem in your area then by all means get a Marine/SEAL/Special Forces blade and impress them all on the dive boat when you theatrically whip it out to cut the crusts off your surface interval sandwiches!

Dive Safe.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I have to agree. When I was just (a little) boy I had to compensate, so I had a huge knife on the inside of my leg on every dive. Now that I am older and bigger, I have a knife that I can really use while diving. My knife of choice is made by OMS. It is small enough to be comfortable, but large enough to be useful, and able to be used with or without dive gloves on. I have it straped to my harness where it can always be reached. It has a flat blunt tip, so you can use it as a mini pry bar if you need, plus you won't poke yourself. I also have a small pointed backup knife I keep in my pocket just in case I need it.

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO
    Last edited by acelockco; 06-04-2008 at 02:04 AM.

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I agree with what Ace Rubber Chicken said. I keep a titanium (I like it for durability and anti-corrosive properties) knife on the inside of my calf out of the way, and a small titanium knife on my bc strap. The calf kife is blunt tip for prying, etc because it's bigger and gives me more leverage, and the bc knife is pointed. Some feel it should be the other way around; blunt on the bc so you don't poke yourself, but I have it in such a way that I need to be completely narced to do it (hasn't happened yet, and god willing, it will never happen).

Also to consider are your intended uses. Other can speak to this better than I can, I'm sure, but material choice is big too. Different stainless numbers have durability, sharpness edge holding properties, weight, corrosive resistance, etc. To me, sharpness is not so important. I keep mine super sharp as I have access to professional sharpening in my kitchen (remember, I'm the fooddude). Also, as long as a knife is reasonably sharp, it will cut you free of most line and monofilament I come in contact with.

I now carry shears as well in case I have limited "sawing" movement in tight places, I can just snip! I take a case of EMT/Surgical shears from the hospital and use them as disposables throughout the diving year. I bring many extras on boats for others in case someone is missing one or it's rusted and not functioning properly. We all need to look out for others, especially since we may need their hep down below.

Good luck, and remember... it's a kinfe. Not a major investment. If you but it and don't like it, it becomes a spare!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Although you want good quality, don't spend a million bucks on it either. Because you will lose it eventually . . .

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I prefer small and sharp, and as snake alluded to, cheap (yep, i have lost a few over the years.) I keep a small z-knife attached to the harness webbing on my right shoulder, as well as a small folding lock blade knife (Gerber River Runner) on my left waist belt (I like them on opposite sides and locations to ensure that I can always reach one of them.) I do have a BA dive knife from my specops days, but all it ever gets used for these days is to make and/or pund tent stakes into the ground. Whenever I venture out on a wreck (or just going out spear fishing) I will usually put a pair of shears (must be strong enough to cut through steel leaders) in my pocket.

Small blunt knife & a set of shears on opposite sides of the waistband for this boy.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Never did the Rambo thing u/w.
    I use a small, razor sharp, double edged knife (like the old Tekna), always, and attached it to the web belt of my Scubapro vest.
    I like the idea of clippers or shears.
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks to the responding, I see a clear theme here, there is a machismo element present in the size and bigger and more expensive doesn't necessarily make better!

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Default Cutting devices

I also have two cutting devices, and since I'm not a guy don't have any 'compensation' issues, so they have been selected in terms of their practicality. My knife (a titanium blade) is attached to my LP hose; my shears (which I will always prefer unless I need a very sharp, serrated blade) are in my cumberbund zip pocket. You don't have to pay a lot for cutting devices, and I bought relatively cheap shears, but I'll end up getting new ones soon because although the blades themselves are non-rust, for some incomprehensible reason the attachment bolt is beginning to rust! So do try to get cutting devices that are rust-resistant.
    Last edited by Quero; 09-19-2007 at 04:44 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast