Thread: Knife advice

Hybrid View

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I prefer small and sharp, and as snake alluded to, cheap (yep, i have lost a few over the years.) I keep a small z-knife attached to the harness webbing on my right shoulder, as well as a small folding lock blade knife (Gerber River Runner) on my left waist belt (I like them on opposite sides and locations to ensure that I can always reach one of them.) I do have a BA dive knife from my specops days, but all it ever gets used for these days is to make and/or pund tent stakes into the ground. Whenever I venture out on a wreck (or just going out spear fishing) I will usually put a pair of shears (must be strong enough to cut through steel leaders) in my pocket.

Small blunt knife & a set of shears on opposite sides of the waistband for this boy.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Never did the Rambo thing u/w.
    I use a small, razor sharp, double edged knife (like the old Tekna), always, and attached it to the web belt of my Scubapro vest.
    I like the idea of clippers or shears.
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks to the responding, I see a clear theme here, there is a machismo element present in the size and bigger and more expensive doesn't necessarily make better!

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Default Cutting devices

I also have two cutting devices, and since I'm not a guy don't have any 'compensation' issues, so they have been selected in terms of their practicality. My knife (a titanium blade) is attached to my LP hose; my shears (which I will always prefer unless I need a very sharp, serrated blade) are in my cumberbund zip pocket. You don't have to pay a lot for cutting devices, and I bought relatively cheap shears, but I'll end up getting new ones soon because although the blades themselves are non-rust, for some incomprehensible reason the attachment bolt is beginning to rust! So do try to get cutting devices that are rust-resistant.
    Last edited by Quero; 09-19-2007 at 04:44 AM.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

There is a certain DS in Hong Kong whose claim to fame is their large selection of Rambo Knives, spearguns and BCs with so many metal D rings they could be easily mistaken as display racks.

Apparently, the rationale is: you need the big knife to cut up the huge fish you just killed with your Shamu-sized speargun to BBQ it over an open flame on the beach - survivor style

Anyone who knows HK waters can see the humour in this as:
    1) Hong Kong has a silty bottom so there isn't much down there.
    2) Most accessible HK beaches are too polluted -- both the water and the beaches. So what's fueling the BBQ? Dirty grocery bags?
    3) With a spear that size, there wouldn't be any fish left.
    4) If there was anything left, that knife would certainly take care of it.

To answer the question: I carry 2 cutting tools. One straped to my middle and another on the shoulder strap of the opposit side.

Country
    Canada

small knife with a serated edge kept sharp with a blunt tip. a sheathe can easily be made using a bit of webbing and use a piece of inner tube tohelp keep it in place. Stored in the waist band to the left of the buckle where it's easily accessible with either hand. I agree with seasnake too that you don't want to spend a fortune on a knife, you will eventually lose it. Just my .02.

City
    West Palm Beach
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Default knives

I agree with you guys, but in a high stress situation, re-holstering the knife on your BC or High Pressure Hose might cause a liiiiitle problem when you hear that "PSSSSSSSSSSSS" sound.
    scubacop

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio5031 View Post
    I agree with you guys, but in a high stress situation, re-holstering the knife on your BC or High Pressure Hose might cause a liiiiitle problem when you hear that "PSSSSSSSSSSSS" sound.
    As opposed to stabbing yourself in the leg ???
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Thanks to the responding, I see a clear theme here, there is a machismo element present in the size and bigger and more expensive doesn't necessarily make better!
    Not just for guys, for girls too. Apparently there are more than a few Halle- Berry-Bond-Girl wannabes/fashionistas sporting that techie knife slung low across their bikini bottoms.