Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Does anything about diving spook you?

61/2years = 30.5 years See he may not be soooooo old afterall.
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I don't know, something does not sound right. I don't care if you are 500lbs, you are going to float without any weight on and with any size BC (even a kids size) and you definately won't sink.

Maybe there is some 20 knot downward current where you are diving, but that wouldn't make much sense either. Maybe there is something you are forgetting to tell us???
    I dunno Ace, I'd love to figure this out too. I love the middle part of the dive just hate the beginning (surface current) & the end (downward current). The stupid BC is negatively bouyant even when filled; a nasty surprise I found on my rescue course a few years back. (I'm suspecting the BC was mis-sized/mis-labeled). I did the bouyancy thingy again w/ 500psi & it was all good. Then I did it w/ 1600psi which is more realistic for me & was good too. The BC just has so much drag to it in current As I'm in the market for a new BC, the sooner I figure this out the better. Just for the record, I'm a very decent swimmer.

Maybe it's also the dive profile, my buddy likes to bounce drift that one.
    Last edited by littleleemur; 12-19-2007 at 01:47 AM.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Like I said, something definately does not sound right.

My advise, get someone that knows what they are doing to help you. I would definately stop diving until you have proper gear. This is your life you are talking about! If your BC does not bring you to the surface when fully inflated, there is something really wrong, maybe deadly wrong.

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

I have no problems w/ the gear on any deep dive & it functions as it should every single time. Somehow the wetsuit + BC + tank + me work out very well w/ the bouyancy in every other situation. The BC brings me to the surface at 150 -160 ft (Blue Hole Belize) with much room to spare. It's this specific site & I've stopped diving it. But I am still looking for a new BC with more lift & better trim. I have no problem calling the dive either. Thanks though :x

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Now lets see, witch one makes since, I always go for the easiest, simplest, and oh ya the one that would put me on the team 51/2 years before I was born!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    If your BC does not bring you to the surface when fully inflated, there is something really wrong, maybe deadly wrong.
    Figured it out! Yay!

It was the ditchable weaight pocket's hard plastic backing that prevented the bladder from fully inflating. When the second velcro was released, the weights came out, but the pocket stayed! So while, technically ditching the 4lbs of weight I had (the other 4 were in my IW pockets), the bladder never fully inflated outward but instead tried to squeeze me.

I've obviously outgrown that BC in more ways than one so my next will be BP/W.

Country
    United Arab Emirates

Hi, I'm new to this site and just reading through...I wish I'd have discovered this a while ago! I'm an open water diver - still very inexperienced with 4 additional dives after my initial training. I did these additional dives in East Africa and found that in fresh water (amongst many other learning curves!!) I panicked during the descent on the first of the days dives. The subsequent descents were fine. I had taken a refresher course prior to these dives.

I'm planning to do my Advanced certificate whilst I'm on holiday in the seychelles this May. Does anyone have any tips for regulating breathing on descent? (I think I get nervous - trusting the equipment, the taste / sensation of diving etc). I notice I use a lot of air on these first dives.

Thanks for any advice.

Natalie

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

The only way I know to overcome the problem you describe Nat is to dive more. The more you dive the more confident you become in your skills, so the more relaxed you will be in the water column, hence you start noticing your sac rate improving. Regardless what the old pro's tell you about being born as fish, all divers go through this learning curve; some may start off better than others, but I have yet to meet anyone who started at their maximum capacity for greatness. So just go diving more often

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I second that, and would add that you should descend at your own pace. It drives me crazy when I have to chase people down to the bottom. Talk to your buddy and tell them you would like to lead the descent and stress that you want to take it slow. And then DO NOT WORRY about holding people up or going to slow on the descent. Focus on descending on a rate that is comfortable for you, that will allow you to maintain control and buddy contact.

Country
    United Arab Emirates

Thanks guys...I spent a long time thinking about this after I asked the question and you are both right. It IS the pressure to get to the bottom and not hold anyone up. I like the idea of saying that I'll descent first - I usually follow.

I also think it's was because I'm usually the one to cause heyhem wherever I go until the dive properly begins... Weights falling off into the depths immediately after water entry and then bouncing back up to the surface because AFTER i filled my fogged up mask with water and successfully cleared it at the bottom, then I lost my nerve!?! More experience required but all good fun! Thanks again.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast