Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anything about diving spook you?

Default Does anything about diving spook you?

Bat rays bumping into you from behind on a night dive?

The sound of base cellos playing ominous chords while diving in waters known to be the grounds of great white sharks?

The thought of a packed large dive boat discharging the head on your head while swimming to the front anchor line?

Titan triggerfish during nesting season do it for you?

Sea snakes do you a treat?

Is there anything about or during diving that creeps you out?

Registered Users

Default Sarah

Now,

I think you scare me the most....
    Where do you come up with this stuff?

I have nitemares, but yours sound more interesting...

Thanks for the thoughts...

lol

Cheers,
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Boat drivers who don't know what a dive flag means, I was once hanging off my reel on a safety stop when my buddy went goggle eyed in front of me as a yacht's drop keel sliced through the water just behind my head!

Large marine animals who seem to deliberately wind me up, There is a popular dive spot locally which has a resident bull seal who positively enjoys swooping through your torch beam at its very extremity and then sneaks up on your shoulder so that you only see him from the corner of your eye. I swear that i can hear him laughing every time he does it to me!

Any diver who treats advice from the internet as gospel. It's worth what you pay for it, for crying out loud!

Anybody who tells you that diving becomes really cheap once you have your own kit!
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

To be honest, the thing that most weirds me out is feeling all the little worms and other planktonic beasties coming up and tickling my hands during night dives (they're obviously attracted to the light).

Registered Users
    State
    Ohio
    Country
    USA

My credit card bill

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Nothing spooks me, I am a tough.........wellllllllllll, maybe one or two things, small teeny, weeny, little things.

Snakes. I can not stand them!!!! (it's a child hood thing)

I was doing my obligatory deco stop after a cave dive in Ginnie Springs, When I noticed my two partners VERY close to each other. They were within an inch of each other, hugging each other in sheer terror!! When I ascended to my 10' stop, I discovered that I had been in very close company with a 15' water moccasin. Alright, it was more like 1 meter or so, but it was huge!!!!! Any way, I too, joined the "group hug". As the water monster moved, we moved, to remain 180 degrees opposite of this vicious creature. Hey, it's my story....... When my dive partners finished their deco obligation, they quickly exited the premises. At this point the snake started to get very restless and move about the area we "shared". He slithered back and forth quickly, and then went straight up the wall and disappeared. Well, when I finished deco, I peered over the edge of the hole I was in. Shining my light all around, from the surface to the river bed (it was about midnight) I concluded he was no where to be seen. So, firming my resolution, I shot through the water to the steps at the water's edge, and raced up the stairs.......with all my gear on,....... fins included!! Now you have to realize that I had doubles on with a deco bottle, and all the other gear needed to dive in caves. The ensuing ruckus that I created, was straight out of a Three Stooges set. To the incidental bystander, this was worthy of a straight jacket, to me? Well, it did nothing to allay my well founded fears of that slithering vermin.

As a conclusion, a water moccasin was caught that very night, a short distance from my dive site. And released, unharmed!!!!!! Needless to say, I split a gasket after learning of this act of complete insanity.

"Split a gasket", lol. Guys have all the good sayings...Great story Bama.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    ...Great story Bama.
    Huh??? (done in my best scooby voice )

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Grew up in central FL, so snakes and gators really don't bother me all that much (I do hate spiders though, especially the big yellow and black wood spiders that like to hand their webs at eye level!) The thing I most fear from diving (other than the sight of an spg reading "0" underwater) is all the idiots that I have to share the road with going and coming. I wish we could devote as much time and energy to find a cure for stupid as we devote to cancer, aids, and other ills.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Between Bama and amtrosie, I can't stop laughing.

amtrosie, your story is really entertaining and I know you must have almost s*%t your dry suit! I am not very fond of snakes that close either. I had a pet snake when I was a child, it thought my finger was a mouse and chomped down on me. Anyway, later that day I was at the pet store trading my snake in for a fish tank.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast