Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mask Advice!

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Default Mask Advice!

Dear members

My Divemaster let me try his black oceanic shadow mask at Capernwray yesterday; I had heard that black framed masks could give a claustrophobic feeling. It seemed fine (viz was great) but I wondered if the viz was poor would it add to any anxiety felt? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
    Andy

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Black masks are great! I don't know of anyone having any problems feeling claustrophobic in them. They are nice, because they keep the reflection and ambient light from distracting you when taking photos. It also looks cool in my opinion.

I've used both....black is easier to prevent browning, as you dont' see it, but I prefer the clear silicone masks.

Guys are into the all black thing, this stems from their historical preoccupation with being "The Black Knight", who always defeats his foes.

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks Acelockco, I will keep this in mind in case I take up the photography side of the sport.

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks for the history lesson about days of old when knights were bold, not sure what you meant about 'browning' though?

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    I've used both....black is easier to prevent browning, as you dont' see it, but I prefer the clear silicone masks.

Guys are into the all black thing, this stems from their historical preoccupation with being "The Black Knight", who always defeats his foes.
    Isn't the black knight supposed to be the "bad man", while the white knight is on the side of good and be the hero to save the fair maiden????
    Lottie

Well, it is not like guys would wear white fins, white exposure suits, white masks......a guy like that would not be interested in any fair maiden only other knights.

As to Browning, silicone masks can discolor.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

For that matter, I don't know anyone that would wear a white mask, white fins, and a white exposure suit.

Does anyone even make a white exposure suit. I know Whites makes dry suits, but that is only the name and not the color.

Only in West Hollywood!

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks lottie, it shows how easy it is to go off on a tangent away from diving. Apart from if you were an albino I think you would have to be extremely secure in your masculinity to get decked out in all white clobber. To I divechick never having the pleasure of going to west hollywood I'll take yor word on that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast