Okay, I take it Acelockco doesn't like kids ... lol

I have to agree, if you charge a price for a service, you gotta provide that service. If it's not working out for you, get out of the business. The CEO's of the airlines aren't running charity organizations. I wouldn't think they would do it unless they were making money. Plus, for the price of the ticket they promise you this and that and comfort and so on and on. So they should deliver. However, murdering babies or throwing them out the door with parachutes is, I don't think, the answer ...

Now, back to the original topic! I think I posted this in another thread, but here is the summary of "How I Got Rolled By Continental Airlines":

Flying to Florida from Halifax. Halifax to Newark, Newark to Miami. I have to drive by car five hours to get to Halifax. Well, it was my fault, I missed the cutoff for international flights check in time. I think it's two hours before the flight? I was probably 15 minutes late I think. Continental agent would not let me check in. No matter how much I begged, no way. Well, I guess I can't complain, I should've been there earlier, but still I was miffed. It was the last flight of the day, so the only thing she would allow is to fly the next day. There was some kinda big convention in town, so I ended up sleeping in my car. The next day, at the airport in PLENTY of time, but the flight was late. Got to Newark in time for the connection. I think it is an hour flight to Florida. About 40 minutes into the flight, the pilot says there is a problem with a fuel pump and we have to return to Newark. Dang. We land safely in Newark and are told to go back to the gate where a Continental agent will tell us what to do next. Well, no one at the gate knew anything and sent the entire plane load of passengers across the airport to a Continental customer service desk. They didn't know anything and told everyone to return to the gate. We got sent back and forth three times, I think (quite a sight, actually, this throng moving as one through the airport). By now the customer service desk was aware of the situation and told everyone to line up to deal with each passenger one at a time. Of course, people were getting testy, people were speaking out asking questions instead of waiting in line. I watched Continental staff lose their temper and yell at passengers several times. Seniors were left to stand for hours, etc. etc. Eventually it was my turn and I was told by the agent there was nothing they could do but give me a refund. I told them I was, in effect, in a foreign country and I needed more than that: new flight, food, accomodations, phone to call Florida and cancel my appointments. All were refused. He eventually told me they had another flight going to Florida but I would have to go to another gate to see if I could get on stand by. After quite a bit more fuss and hours of waiting, I did get my name on stand by for that flight, along with some of the other passengers. More fussing, waiting, begging, pleading, cajoling, bribing and I got on the flight (which was late). And of course, when I arrived in Miami, my luggage was in Godknowswhereland. Missed all my appointments, and was now in Miami with just the shirt on my back as Continental kicked me to the curb.
When I finally made it back home I called to complain and seek compensation. Calling Continental customer service or flinging yourself off a cliff; it's hard to say which is more painful. I think it was a $600 flight? Most they were willing to offer for my suffering was $200 credit on another Continental flight! Yay!
That is ONE of my bad experiences with Continental, certainly the worst. I would rather run naked through a swarm of angry bees than fly with them again.
Personally I haven't had too much trouble with Delta, if you can believe it. Air Canada has not been too bad either.