Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airline Issues

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

What about reports on dealing with particular airlines too?

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post

Ok, silly question! lol
    Ha! Yeh, really!

Well, word-of-mouth is still one of the greatest forms of publicity, good or bad. Certainly one of the consequences of poor customer service is and should be that people are gonna tell people, whether it's an airline or restaurant or anything else!

On that note, and if you want to shunt this over to a different thread . . . Continental Airlines is proof Satan exists, and several of it's employees have special places reserved in the fire and sulfur of Hades! But I'm not bitter . . .

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    Ha! Yeh, really!

Well, word-of-mouth is still one of the greatest forms of publicity, good or bad. Certainly one of the consequences of poor customer service is and should be that people are gonna tell people, whether it's an airline or restaurant or anything else!

On that note, and if you want to shunt this over to a different thread . . . Continental Airlines is proof Satan exists, and several of it's employees have special places reserved in the fire and sulfur of Hades! But I'm not bitter . . .
    Never fly Continental when confined to a wheelchair, unless of course you just love experiencing pain and humiliation at the hands of the flight crew.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Can you please explain?

I have flown US Airways and United in the recent past and both were fine. I had no problems with my gear, no problems with the checked lugage, no problems with my carry on, and MOST IMPORTANT no problems with the flights.

What I did not like was the constant nagging to sign up for a credit card to get airline miles. They spend 30 seconds on emergency procedures and 30 minutes going over and explaining in great detail the airline miles and the credit card!

I say stick the credit card and the peanuts up your big fat ---> (_!_) and give us some decent food.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Oh, and shut up that stinking baby, they should put any crying babies in the cargo hold away from me! Or have gag for them! It is so unfair to the rest of the passangers. I had a baby crying in the row behind me for the entire flight from LA to Philadelphia. The mother did not even seem to be the least bit concerned.

Lets just say I almost went to jail for murder!!!!

Country
    USA

Ok, now we all have a specific forum to discuss issues related to poor or excellent airlines and their service, so we moved the threads related to that but unrelated to baggage theft reports to here.

I am mulling over adding my own report on what a particular airline did to of all people a travel writer, but since we all make mistakes, since the measure of a person or company is what they do to resolve it, I will reserve comment till they've been given that opportunity.

I WILL ad though that I have been repeatedly impressed with Cathay Air Lines. Always clean planes, always with large flat panel LCD's with tons of movies, always great service and decent food, never lost or delayed baggage, etc.

Now and then they run direct specials on their website too.

If you guys want to come up with a report format, like the following, and fee free to add or suggest something better:

Airline:

Destination:

Pros

Cons

Additional Comments:

end

Now like Ace observed, or should I say survived, is Boeing and Airbus do not build planes with screaming kids, or do airlines offer discounts if you bring a screaming kid. That is a parent issue but not always within their control.

Passengers on Lufthansa have it right, where mothers were free to breast feed their infants unimpeded by American psychoses, and the planes are a lot quieter to show for it.

I will acknowledge that I am fairly disappointed with the modern weather radars planes have. I pay good money to go on roller coasters to get thrown about, and I pay even better money to be on a plane. For that price, I want an E-ticket ride!

It is always funny to hear the periodic screams from passengers during mild turbulence. For those ever in doubt, if you can't decide if you should be worried, should scream, or go back to sleep during turbulence, just look at the facial expressions of the stewardesses or stewards (yes, they do have genders and are either male or female in spite of what you're told). If they act like nothing is amiss, you're home free.

However, if they scream, so should you too!

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Based on my own experience with airlines I can recommend:

Emirates,
    JAL,
    Air New Zealand,
    Quantas,
    Alitalia,
    United, ( because they once gave me an upgrade for no discernable reason. )

Airlines I have no opinion of either way:
    British Airways,
    Aer Lingus,
    Air Pacific,
    Garuda,
    Continental,
    Scot Air,
    Virgin Blue.

Airlines that I would only fly on as a last resort:

Monarch,
    American, ( are they still going ?)
    Ryan Air,
    Easyjet.

To be fair, the last 2 are British based, budget airlines which mainly cover Europe. If you want an incredibly cheap ticket which will take you from one obscure provincial airfield, miles from your start point to another, even more obscure, fly blown, provincial airfield, even farther away, ( possibly in a completely seperate country! ), from your destination with a better than evens chance that your checked luggage will end up somewhere completely different, then these are the guys for you!

An International Air safety expert was once asked where was the best place to sit on a modern airliner. He pondered the question carefully for several moments before replying, " Taking in all the relevant factors of passenger survival rates over innumerable air crashes that I have investigated, I would have to say that the best place to sit on a modern aircraft is..............................................

First Class!"
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Passengers on Lufthansa have it right, where mothers were free to breast feed their infants unimpeded by American psychoses, and the planes are a lot quieter to show for it.

Hey I resent that! I am an American and I have no problem with breast feeding (remember I asked for better food on the plane as well!). ****, considering it is a public place and all, the mothers should have no problem getting their photo taken during this as well. If they feel comfortable enough for that, then go for it.

Anyway if breast feeding makes the kid shut up, then fine. If it does not work, ther should be a seperate area in the back of the plane for those with children that has a sound proof barier.

Or better yet, keep the credit card on file of the person with babies. If the babies scream for the entire flight, then the baby's owners can pay for everyone else's tickets. I don't expect to pay over $700 for a flight across the country and to be disturbed for 3 hours by a screaming baby. Hey, if you can't control your kid, leave them at home!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    If the babies scream for the entire flight, then the baby's owners can pay for everyone else's tickets.
    Ace,
    babies scream and/or cry on a flight as it's the best way for them to equalize their ears. Don't forget the pressure on a plane is akin to the pressure when you dive. As babies can't close their nose and equalize the way that we do when we're diving. The only thing that they do know is to scream (yes, okay, its also a form of getting attention from their parents).

As for airlines - I've travelled Virgin Atlantic (from UK to St Lucia) and they are good - enough legroom in cattle class (i'm 5'9") to be comfortable. The foods pretty decent and the movies are good.

As for British Airways - if you're under 5 foot, they're okay - I flew from UK to Oz on BA and my legs were cramped up like anything - I think I walked up and down the aisle about a dozen times, doing stretching exercises - I should also add that I have knee problems and if i don't move my legs, my knees lock up and then i'm in complete agony for over a week

You guys should try the inter-island flights over here - Liat/Caribbean Star. The planes are DHC's prop, carry about 40 passengers and when you hit a bit of turbulence, the plane rocks (but, IMHO, the pilots do a good job), plus the noise from the engines is deafening, theres no movies and the food (if youre on a flight over an hour) is a muffin and a carton of juice.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are naff airlines, its the caribbean equivalent of, say the Greyhound coaches or the No.59 bus, that you just hop on/hop off to get to another island.
    Last edited by lottie; 09-09-2007 at 12:51 PM.
    Lottie

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Ace,

Crying babies are part of life. The fact that the mother looked like she wasn't concerned is probably true. Maybe there was no reason to be concerned. If she knows her baby, maybe nothing was wrong except teething, or maybe an ear infection that prevented the baby from equalizing properly (imagine that and a tooth problem while doing a deep dive). They say that teething is one of the most painful human experiences part of regularly scheduled life next to giving birth. Adults would not be able to handle it without serious drugs.

Look, it is annoying, I wouldn't like it at all, but don't you think that the mother would like some quiet as well as not being looked at with scorn by all on the plane?

What could the mother have done? I'm sure if the mother tried gagging or placing in the cargo hold like you suggested, you'd be on telling us about the abuse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast