Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The first (and hopefully not the last) SMN dive trip

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Default The first (and hopefully not the last) SMN dive trip

okay, considering the previous discussion thread about a group diving trip somewhere within this world of ours. As quite a few of you have said that you'd be interested (single or not). i wanted to get a confirmation of some sort as to the where, what, when, why and hows of this thing.

So, to get the ball rolling. What would your answers be to the following questions?

1.) Where
    - Eilat, Israel.
    - Thailand
    - somewhere else (please specify)

2.) When
    Should this be next year, especially as there is only 3 months left of this year - when would be better (spring, summer, fall/autumn or winter)?

3.) How
    - Stay in a resort and get a private boat charter for diving
    - go on a liveaboard?
    - other? (please specify)

4.) Why
    I don't think that there needs to be a why apart from it being a complete blast and being able to see the faces behind the names.

5.) AOB
    Is there anything else that we would need to take into consideration? Should this be open to everyone or, be related to diving experience (e.g. AOW minimum with 20+ dives??)

Discuss..in no less than 20 words
    Lottie

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    okay, considering the previous discussion thread about a group diving trip somewhere within this world of ours. As quite a few of you have said that you'd be interested (single or not). i wanted to get a confirmation of some sort as to the where, what, when, why and hows of this thing.

So, to get the ball rolling. What would your answers be to the following questions?

1.) Where
    - Eilat, Israel.
    - Thailand
    - somewhere else (please specify)

2.) When
    Should this be next year, especially as there is only 3 months left of this year - when would be better (spring, summer, fall/autumn or winter)?

3.) How
    - Stay in a resort and get a private boat charter for diving
    - go on a liveaboard?
    - other? (please specify)

4.) Why
    I don't think that there needs to be a why apart from it being a complete blast and being able to see the faces behind the names.

5.) AOB
    Is there anything else that we would need to take into consideration? Should this be open to everyone or, be related to diving experience (e.g. AOW minimum with 20+ dives??)

Discuss..in no less than 20 words

Where - St. Lawrence River Alexandria Bay NY (Thousand Island Region) Many intact wrecks for all levels.

When - Mid to late September. Water is still warm enough for wet suits mid 60's to low 70's (no thermocline) The tourist season is over but there is still plenty of shops and hotels open and there is still good weather Charters are available with in 45 min drive in Canada

How - how else stay at the Riverside Edge or other resort, shore dives, bottle hunting, charters Lots of places to gather or go off on your own.

Why - It is the best fresh water diving available and I want to promote the area, and as I have small children I may be able to actually meet you. (Okay I admit that not all of you may not want to met me )

AOB (?) Open to all, I understand the reason there are single/couple only events and even though I am married I don't like being excluded just becauase I have a spouse or not...

Okay exceded my limits, but I do not travel much right now and these are obviously self serving answers but it is a start...

Nice format Lottie...
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I think Daddy-H2O is on to something. I am thinking maybe we should pick a spot that is local to someone on the board. It would make things MUCH easier having a local that has knowledge of the area and dive conditions.

I would LOVE to have divers come visit my area and do some wreck dives, but it is not something that would be open to a lot of divers without additional training.

Again, Daddy-H20 has a great idea with the St. Lawerence or the Great Lakes region in general. There is something for divers of all skill levels. Plus it would give some of you a nice introduction to cold water diving(I am telling you this is really fun!!!).

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I agree with all prior responses. I, too, have two small children (4 1/2 and 14 months) and somewhere local is great. I also like cold water diving. I recommend the Long Island/Connecticut/Rhode Island region as this is "Wreckk Alley" and also has the benefit of topside attractions such as a place some may have heard of called New York City!

Springtime is great! Great water conditions on Long Island sound/ Atlantic ocean south of Long Island, Central Park is coming to life with all the flowers, etc.

We could also make a 2008 Tour series: Go to several places that eacjh of us live, and that will allow us the experience factor of a local, variety, etc. Do one or all! Whatever fits your schedule!

Ace,
    By definition (SSI) Cold water diving is in water less than 70 degrees F, I typically can do 2 dives in water as warm as 48 degrees F in my 7mm wet suit so my idea od cold may be diffrent from anothers idea. I would love to share my diving with others willing to brave the "elements".

I agree with you, Colder water is fun too...

And not just every diver skill or level but there would be stuff for non-diving family members too...

plan lottie plan!!!!
    Last edited by Daddy-h2O; 09-06-2007 at 02:34 PM.
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

I agree about the 2008 series thing, i think its great.
    we could just pick a place that one of us lives at a time and just up and go there, there is the financial aspect of this aswell, to travel to NYC half round the world or even more for some could be a problem unless planned for way in advance, and even then there might come the unexpected, like daddy said, some have kids and a life that is harder to leave just like that.

we will just have to vote it as to where to go. some of us might not make it for legit reasons but the ones that can make it have the fun and new friends right?

as for dive certs and levels: AOW is good, 20 dives is good, depending on what sites there are on the agenda, we coule also go by theme for each trip aswell. that way, a wreck penetration dive trip will not be open for some, though groups can be put together to dive outside the wrecks for instance.

well, we could also form sort of a group that will just organise dive trips round the world not depending on where we are from.

Good show Lottie

Where: for the first trip it would be in the beginning of the year, somewhere warm, if you dont mind the cold of January or Febuary.
    that takes care of the when
    How: resort that has an option to charter boats, ot could also be a liveaboard, depending on what the group elected to get this going decides.

Why: Lottie gave a pretty good reason that is hard to argue with
    besides, we could make this an SMN tradition would that be grand

whaddiya say?

Country
    USA

We have every intention on doing SMN group dive get-togethers.

We'd like to start off with once a year, then twice. We too think 2008 would be right, as the dive travel agency experts say that these type of groups trips are normally offered 8 months to a year in advance so as to give participants plenty of time to schedule.

After 35 years of cold water diving, and after starting to do tropical dive travel a few years back, I too am now a warm-water-weenie.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

DiverDaniel,
    You raise some good points.
    I think the main thing about this trip (if we ever pull this off instead of creating loads of hot air just talking about it) is that it should be fun for all and not specialized (maybe I'm saying the wrong thing here) - but, something that we can all do, so that noone in the discussion stages feels excluded as its not what they want to do/feel comfortable about doing/can't do due to their skillset.
    Speaking for me personally, i wouldn't feel comfortable about doing a wreck-penetration dive (or just diving around it) and would probably say no about going down and would go off and do something different....if there are other people on the group trip, it spoils the fun of what a group trip is all about - doing stuff as a group...

We don't want people to do something that they physically can't do and then find that there are problems, then accidents can occur - which is one thing we want to avoid at all costs.

I'm thinking that for this first trip a land-based location (as opposed to a liveaboard) would be better. At least, there will be more activities for people to do, plus if there are spouses/non-divers around, there is more for them to do (if there are a number of them) so they can go off and do whatever while the rest of us are diving to our hearts content. (which completely contradicts what I said above....D'uh!!)

Hopefully you lot can make some sense of my dis-understandable drivel...
    Last edited by lottie; 09-07-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I think you have the right idea Lottie.

Like I said before, I would love to have divers visit my area and go diving, but it is not diving for all types of divers.

The land based place will help get the divers with non diving family able to come along. We also have to think about political sanctions as well, for example even though Cuba has some great diving none of us from the US are able to go there.

I have never been there but I have read a lot saying Bonaire is one of the best dive vacation places to go.

I have a few articles on Bonaire and I can provide more info if needed. The one cool thing I read about Bonaire is that there are all diferent types of dives for all skill levels. Another great thing is that you don't need to charter a boat to go diving as there are EASY beach dives just about everywhere. The best thing of all though is that there are 24 hour a day air fills! SOOOOOOO, there is really unlimited diving available. Bring the flash lights and we can do some night dives.

Anyone else have any input on Bonaire? Anyone from there? Anyone been there?

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

It is a cool idea ... St. Lawrence or Great Lakes would be neat since I have never been and always wanted to and it is close enough to me that it is actually conceivable I might be able to go! lol ... So that is nice for ME! But I also like the idea of a tropical destination . . . . warm water diving is pretty cool ... (little bit of thermal wordplay there ... *snicker*)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast