Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Balancing Tips

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    I bought the Canon 5D Mark II and was not planning on using for video but this video was made with the Canon 5D MArk II ? If yes, OK, I'm using the video. Too bad it's limited to so many minues or 4GB (I believe that is 4GB)
    Yes, canon 5 d mark II in aquatica housing without lights....but I need to begin shooting with iso locked down, and with manual exposure...this will all be new to me ...

Registered Users

Default How do you like the housing?

It's the same housing I am looking into. It appears you have a wide or ultra wide dome and/or you ar eusing a wide angle lens? Which lens did you use for that dive, do you remember? And your dome. Heck, spill it out for us, give us (OK - give me) a list of what you got?

Are you new to UW Photo/Video?

L
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users

I use the canon 16 to 35 mm lens.
    The aquatica has a dome they sell for this rectilinear lens.

I am new to underwater video... I shot a little topside a few years back with a mini dv camera, but this u/w stuff for only about a month and a half.

Dan

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by danvolker View Post
    I use the canon 16 to 35 mm lens.
    The aquatica has a dome they sell for this rectilinear lens.

I am new to underwater video... I shot a little topside a few years back with a mini dv camera, but this u/w stuff for only about a month and a half.

Dan
    I have the exact same lens and a lens that will fit into the super dome. Awesome combination, especially if this is your first rig. Great choices so far.
    When looking at lights, look at the light/strobe combination from Ikelite.

At first, you are all about learning this and doing that and oh I wish I knew that when you watch your film. Beyond some of the tips Publisher provided, try and hold the unit steady. One way is not to hold the unit tight, but almost with your fingers (depending on conditions) and as a general rule, Dainty like. When turning, try moving the back of the camera on an arc vs turning the camera front to follow an object. When you think you shot enough, shoot some more. 10 seconds is a good rule to give enough time and room for editing, yada yada ... Just keep doing what your doing and you'll get it.

Great job on the rig!
    Lars

"Let's go Diving"

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    I have the exact same lens and a lens that will fit into the super dome. Awesome combination, especially if this is your first rig. Great choices so far.
    When looking at lights, look at the light/strobe combination from Ikelite.

At first, you are all about learning this and doing that and oh I wish I knew that when you watch your film. Beyond some of the tips Publisher provided, try and hold the unit steady. One way is not to hold the unit tight, but almost with your fingers (depending on conditions) and as a general rule, Dainty like. When turning, try moving the back of the camera on an arc vs turning the camera front to follow an object. When you think you shot enough, shoot some more. 10 seconds is a good rule to give enough time and room for editing, yada yada ... Just keep doing what your doing and you'll get it.

Great job on the rig!
    Thanks. I will try your tips.

Dan

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

I always set my white balance by pointing the camera at the surface, it is the light source after all. If I want it a bit warmer I change the angle slightly until I am happy with it.

I do the same for stills or video, and, no post processing.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Registered Users

Question on focusing.
    Using the housing and dome you mentioned, how does one focus on the subject?
    I have not purchased the housing/dome yet and was just wondering.

Thanx,
    L
    Lars

"Let's go Diving"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12