Thread: White Balancing Tips

Hybrid View

Country
    USA

I have not had great luck with wb'ing on this slate to the point of not needing a red filter for wide angle on the rare occasions I am not shooting macro.
    SMN Publisher

City
    London
    Country
    UK

The subjects I'm talking about are deep wrecks, 60 - 120 metres, so I need a way to try and increase the colours a little bit. A red filter isn't an option, it will cut out too much light. Using a video light will help on the close ups, however it wont have the cut through for the long shots.... but ideally I want to be adjusting the video settings as little as possible, given the limited time I'll have at depth.

I noticed that the amphibico offering has a colour slate on the reverse, so I'll have an experiment and see how I get on. Any other suggestions for improving the colour at depth, gratefull received.

Country
    USA

Yes white balance against a warming slate, while rolling turn it over the the color chart, then in post, trying adjusting the spectrum to match the color chart you dove with by having it with you at the computer and compare and get as close as you can.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Yes white balance against a warming slate, while rolling turn it over the the color chart, then in post, trying adjusting the spectrum to match the color chart you dove with by having it with you at the computer and compare and get as close as you can.
    For quickly changing deep ocean environments, how about shooting a slate on your dive buddy --just get him or her to swim out in front of your desired shot asap for each new one.....so far I have been using AWB and auto for iso and exposure for my new canon 5 d mark II in Aquatica housing --no lights.
    I am done with the auto lighting, and am about to begin using full manual exposure and iso. Sample shot with the auto nonsense ..

I will have to spend the next few dives figuring out the right iso settings, as well as setting the exposure, and seeing how well the light level works in the target area as I shoot down a reef line....most of what I am doing is showcasing Palm Beach county reefs for structure and marine life.

I do have access to some big Halcyon canister lights with diffused heads....I could try this, but my thinking was that by shooting with ambient light, I can show far more distance and far more reef structure than would be possible with even big HID lights.
    What do you guys think?

Dan
    www.sfdj.com

Registered Users

I bought the Canon 5D Mark II and was not planning on using for video but this video was made with the Canon 5D MArk II ? If yes, OK, I'm using the video. Too bad it's limited to so many minues or 4GB (I believe that is 4GB)
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    I bought the Canon 5D Mark II and was not planning on using for video but this video was made with the Canon 5D MArk II ? If yes, OK, I'm using the video. Too bad it's limited to so many minues or 4GB (I believe that is 4GB)
    Yes, canon 5 d mark II in aquatica housing without lights....but I need to begin shooting with iso locked down, and with manual exposure...this will all be new to me ...

Registered Users

Default How do you like the housing?

It's the same housing I am looking into. It appears you have a wide or ultra wide dome and/or you ar eusing a wide angle lens? Which lens did you use for that dive, do you remember? And your dome. Heck, spill it out for us, give us (OK - give me) a list of what you got?

Are you new to UW Photo/Video?

L
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"