Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
Other's use a white balance slate, such as Amphibico's excellent offering.

You'll notice that Amphibico's slate is not white, but a blueish green. The purpose of this is to do the same thing an reddish orange filter would do-warm up the image. That is also why you either need one or the other, not both! I've color corrected with a blue-green slate, then flipped down the red color correction filter, what a reddish mess!
I'm a bit confused by this... In my understanding, if you use a pure white slate, then the slate will appear bluer as you descend, as the lower frequency lights get cut out. Focusing the white balancing control on the slate, the video can then do the necessary to adjust that back to white.

If you use a blue coloured slate as a starting point, surely the camera is going to overcompensate? Or is the amphibico version designed for use at the surface to precalibrate before your dive (in which case, as Papa says, it's going to be optimised at a certain depth, over or under at others?)

Another question, are there any tricks in setting the white balance when light is a bit lower? I was on a dive last week, playing with a Sony HC-7, and could not get the white balance to set. I was at 30'ish metres, visibility and light were a bit low, although not terrible.

Final question, has anyone tried using a colour card at the start of a dive, and then adjusting the colours post edit, using the colour card as the template/control?