Registered Users
    City
    San Diego
    State
    california
    Country
    USA

Question cabo

Hi! We are looking into going to cabo in december. can anyone tell me what the diving is like then? would cancun be a much better choice? thanks so much!!

Country
    USA

I have been diving in Cabo and was not impressed. If you're already going there for other reasons, then adding on scuba is definitely worth it, but I wouldn't use valuable time to go there specifically for diving.

There is one rock on the south of San Lucas bay that has a lot of tropical fish on it, but it is almost a skin diving affair.

There is another spot in the bay called "Sand Falls" which is the most ridiculous diving tourist gimmic....you couldn't pay me enough to go back to that dive spot.

The rocks at Lands end have nothing growing on them do to tidal fall. There are two decent dives, one is 45 minutes up the scenic coast drive on the Cortez side to Cabo Pulmo , which has the only coral reef in Baja, and the legendary Gordo Banks, which is an advanced dive in the 100 foot range on a sea mount where all the pelagics hang out.

Cabo is great if you want to get drunk off your buns and be silly with friends,
    but unless you go to Pulmo and especially the Gordo banks, I'd pass. I thought the diving in Loreto was really nice and it is quicker to get there and cheaper. All the street urchins constantly peddling painted plates, and Chiclets and all the hawkers pestering us to see if we wanted to go "feeshing, golf, do jew wan time chair" was quiet annoying.

The maid at one of the large resorts we stayed at stole my friends $250 cowboy boots so be careful, the staffers will steal you blind.

Amigos del Mar is what most of us use as the dive guide outfit when there and they have a good reputation.

Registered Users
    City
    San Diego
    State
    california
    Country
    USA

Thanks so much. This was really helpful! we really would like to have some diving as well some fun stuff to do on land. we are going with my husbands mom and dad and brother as well as our 3 year old daughter so won't really be getting drunk but we may be acting silly! only my husband, his brother and I will be diving. We are also considering cancun...do you think that would be a better choice?

Country
    USA

I think anywhere but Cabo is a good choice, with the exception of Cabo Pulmo and especially the Gordo Banks.

I haven't personally been to Cancun, so hopefully others will chime in, but from the photos in the below links, it smokes Cabo.

Here are some Cancun scuba links:

http://www.scubacancun.com.mx/

http://www.cancundiving.com/

http://www.cancun-aquasports.com/

http://www.cancundivingadventures.com/pictures.html

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    ... and the legendary Gordo Banks, which is an advanced dive in the 100 foot range on a sea mount where all the pelagics hang out......
    Wow, that sounds worth it alone. I have never seen anything on Gordo Banks, thanks for the heads up on that.

Country
    USA

Ace,

Gordo Banks is a popular HD videographer dive....schooling hammerheads, tuna, wahoo, El Tiburon, mantas, barracuda and sometimes Mr. Big.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Ooooooooooooyea. Sound like a great place to go diving.

I have to get my wife out to see the Greats at least one time before we die........hopefully it isn't the last thing we do. lol

If you consider Cancun take a look just south of there at Playa Del Carmen, lots of stuff to do dry and there are several good dive shops( I like The Abyss Dive Shop) and some very good diving and also you can catch the ferry from there to Cozumel (Deep Blue is my favorite there).

Default New Website about diving the Baja Peninsula

BajaDivers.com is a new Web site for those interested in diving the 2,000-mile coastline of Mexico's Baja Peninsula. Our site is still under development, but our goal is to become the best source of information on Baja diving anywhere on the 'Net. In coming weeks, we'll be adding a Virtual Dive Log feature where you - the site visitor - can post your Baja experiences for others to enjoy. We'll also include our own reviews of the many Baja dive sites along with a directory of operators who can get you to each site.

BajaDivers.com - by divers, for divers!
    Regards,
    R.J. Archer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    What’s going on under the Caribbean? Check out my
    cryptoarchaeology blog at www.TheMegaBlog.com
    or visit my fiction site at www.SeedsOfCivilization.com.
    Just released: Triangle takes you to the submerged ruins of the "lost city of Cuba"