Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Diving without a BC - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Diving without a BC

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Not sure I'd wanna do that with a set of steel doubles...:S

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Because I like air conditioning in my car too!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Montreal
    State
    Qc
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    even Jersey line...which is a line you send up on a lift bag and attach to the wreck you are on so you can go up...in case you can not locate the anchor line.) or in a total emergency, I could drop a little of my weight.
    Are you telling us that you are considering carrying a Jersey line but not a BC because the BC is too bulky???

Help me, I don't follow the reasoning?

I dive a rebreather ie,I have a first air compartment ther. I compensate 100% with my dry suit while diving yet stll have aBC. Why? Beacause dry suits tend to leak in certain positions and situations. The neck seal tends to leak when I'm vertical.

Other aspects where exposed before, it is not necessary to repaet these points. Referrong to diving practices going back to the ice age is pointless. Safety features have changed, the way we approach safety has too. Do you militantly stand against the use of seat belts in cars, against fire detectors and for the quality of life that smoking brings to all smokers?

If your BC is too big and is combersome, change it for a more appropriate one. It may be more useful than to look for an upline when the **** its the fan at the bottom of the quarry.

Just my opinion.
    Marc

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

See, another Canadian with no sense of humor about diving! If the Canadian Government had their way you would have to dive with a Mountie! Light up and take some gear and lead off! I don't think where talking Quarry Diving here? He is talking about Wreck Diving, even worse! I am not sure he would really do it, just for the redundancy issue, I take this type of question with tongue in Cheek!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Montreal
    State
    Qc
    Country
    Canada

[quote=Papa Bear;10328]See, another Canadian with no sense of humor about diving! If the Canadian Government had their way you would have to dive with a Mountie! [quote]

We Canadians are like that. Don't we hate diving without our horse and red jacket.

That question just reminds me of a few buddies of mine that always find it so much more convenient to dive with less than optimal gear or taking totally unwarranted risks for no reason at all other than resisting mainstream pressure.

It's also that posting about the use of a Jersey lone of all things sounded a bit... hum... intriguing for someone who wished to minimize the gear.
    Last edited by mbelair; 01-30-2008 at 06:14 PM.
    Marc

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Here is my take! If your going into an overhead environment BE TRAINED for it! And use the right gear, witch you should have learned in your training! Plan your dive and dive your plan within your training and ability! Dry suit training states you should never use your dry suit for BC! Simple! It is thermal protection not a BCD!

City
    Ottawa
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    If the Canadian Government had their way you would have to dive with a Mountie!

I never go anywhere without my horse...

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Except diving!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by mbelair View Post
    Are you telling us that you are considering carrying a Jersey line but not a BC because the BC is too bulky???

Help me, I don't follow the reasoning?
    Good point, anyway the reasoning is I noticed someone on a dive boat last summer and he was not using a BC. I just wanted to see if anyone else was doing this and to get opinions. It is not the method I dive or intend to dive, but rather an experiment.

Country
    Cayman Is.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Good point, anyway the reasoning is I noticed someone on a dive boat last summer and he was not using a BC. I just wanted to see if anyone else was doing this and to get opinions. It is not the method I dive or intend to dive, but rather an experiment.
    If it was in the Cayman Is., it was probably me.

To answer your original question, I do most of my dives without a BC, wing, wetsuit, weight belt or weights. It's a wonderful feeling of freedom - kinda like freediving with no obligation to ascend (immediately). You have to experience it to appreciate it. Your maneuverability and speed through the water are greatly enhanced. I should emphasize that I am referring only to recreational diving in tropical waters - no overheads, temperatures > 80 degrees, good viz, little if any current.

Is the BC (or wing) an added measure of safety? Yes, but only (given the type of diving I am talking about) in certain specific circumstances. If there is any surface swim in the dive plan, I will add a wing to my setup. If one is a reasonable possibility, I will add a wing. If I were to go unconscious at depth, my rescuer would be assisted by my having an inflation device. That's about it.

We have to remember that people dived for 15 - 20 years without BCs and managed to survive. To me, it's worth the small additional risk to dive that way today.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast