Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Diving without a BC - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diving without a BC

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    If the wing and drysuit fail or you don't have a wing, then just use a lift back. You can store a big one in the backplate pocket. One should be able to swim a balanced rig to the surface anyway, at least for a single.

I almost always have at least one lift bag with me when diving, and a Jersey Reel, so of course that would get me to the surface. I always have ditchable weight as well if necessary.

About being able to swim a balanced rig to the surface, you hit the nail on the head. Really if your buoyancy is spot on, then you should be able to move about without much if any air in your BC or Drysuit.

I did notice a few of the old timers I have gone diving with did not use any BC. Well one guy had a wing, but it had no inflator and many tears in it. He said the only reason he had it on was to allow him to say he had a BC so he could get on the boat. LOL

Anyway, I bought a wing so it really does not matter any more.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I did notice a few of the old timers I have gone diving with did not use any BC. Well one guy had a wing, but it had no inflator and many tears in it. He said the only reason he had it on was to allow him to say he had a BC so he could get on the boat. LO
    I had an old Mae West type vest I used when I traveled. Of course it had no inflater, it was faded, cracked, and had a crudded up CO2 cartridge on the back. I, too, used it as a "prop" to get on boats...
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Country
    Cayman Is.

My preferred rig for warm water diving:

Country
    Canada

can't tell by the picture but I certainly hope that you're wearing something else besides the tank hehe.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Ya think he's trolling for minnows?
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Country
    USA

If the water is cold, the guys WOULD be trolling the minnow, not "for" minnows. The Titan triggerfish were in nesting season during this photo, so you could say he went diving-Fear Factor style!

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

This is funny! Not just the minnow part, we didn't have BCs or BCDs when I learned to dive! You did it with the right weight and a good kick! I dove for three days once in Cozumel before I realized my BCD had a broken inflater valve! You shouldn't need until you need one They are like having Air-conditioning in your car, you can live without it, but boy sure is nice to have!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Alex777 View Post
    My preferred rig for warm water diving:

PERFECT! That is what I am talking about. I would definately wear some shorts though. That just seems like such a free and comfortable way to dive. Of course that is not intended for all conditions, but thats cool.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I still have my old Campack! They were great, just a piece plastic with a straps. You might find one on E-bay? Have fun, I think I posted on a thread about how we used to just jump in with the tank under our arm with a reg, fins, and a mask! What else do you need? That was a few pounds awhile!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Country
    Canada

so I gotta ask, why do you wear a bc now?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast