Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
Several questions:
Sure, depth...well I was planning on using that setup for local quarry diving to start...about 42 feet depth in the area I like to hang out in.

As far as a dry suit falure...it has already happened to me a few times (that is what you get for buying a used dry suit!!!), but it was not tragic enough to even stop the dive, but I was flooded pretty badly by the end of the dive. Even with both legs filled with water, I still had no problem getting to the surface.

Anyway, back to why I was thinking about this:

I usually only have air in my BC while at the surface and for the first 5-10 minutes of the dive depending on the depth.

If I ever needed to get to the surface because of a dry suit falure, I could just swim to the surface. If not, I could use a line (anchor line on a boat, there are lines to surface bouys over every point of intrest in the quarry, or even Jersey line...which is a line you send up on a lift bag and attach to the wreck you are on so you can go up...in case you can not locate the anchor line.) or in a total emergency, I could drop a little of my weight.

Considering the AL80 cylinder I am going to be using, I would probablly be a little positive at the end of the dive anyway.

From what I have seen on a few local dive boats, I would not be the only one doing this.

Anyway, I am not 100% sure it is going to work out well, but it is something to try (the reason for quarry diving for me is training and are my testing grounds...er waters).