Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Save a Dive kit

I know one women who carries a complete dive outfit on her boat, including wet suit and bc. Of course it all fits HER...
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    An extra mask should be considered a basic part of the kit becasuse what happens if you lose your mask entering the water? Never happend to me but I've seen it happen plenty of times especailly when there is some surf.
    Or your strap breaks during the dive and you loose the mask, or jumping in off a boat.

A trick is to wear your hood over your mask strap instead of having your mask strap over your hood. It is a pain in the rear end to do that, but you have a much better chance of keeping your mask. I personally don't do that, I am willing to take the chance......so far so good (not for my wife though....she lost one once).

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-h2O View Post
    I know one women who carries a complete dive outfit on her boat, including wet suit and bc. Of course it all fits HER...
    Complete extra, or just on the boat for when she wanted to go for a dive?

If I had a boat, I would always have my dive gear with me. Then again if I had a boat, it would be just for diving. Or maybe I should say "When I get my boat".

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

My kit is about the same as Ace's with one addition. Because Ladydog and I dive with integrated wireless computers, we also have a small SPG/depth gauge console in the kit. That way, if one of the wireless units fails (which has not happened) we'll have a back-up. We also carry a back-up point-and-shoot u/w camera, mostly because we have it.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Complete extra, or just on the boat for when she wanted to go for a dive?

If I had a boat, I would always have my dive gear with me. Then again if I had a boat, it would be just for diving. Or maybe I should say "When I get my boat".

Complete set up old gear that is still usable
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I have enough extra gear to take care of just about 2 additional divers (except thanks and computers) but I don't bring all of that stuff with me diving unless I know someone needs to borrow something or was planning on renting gear.

In fact I am (hopefully) picking up 4 additional cylinders and 3 pony cylinders this weekend....just too good of a deal to pass up.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Gotta have the duct tape, electrical tape and zip ties .... add a hammer and you can fix just about anything on land and sea ...

I have a bunch of first stage plugs in my kit too, and a spare low pressure hose. Sometimes you have to do some configuring to help somebody out of a jam.

Drysuit zipper wax, if you dive dry?

Any meds I keep in the first aid kit. Maybe we should start a thread for what should go in a diving first aid kit too . . .

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

[QUOTE=lottie;6742]I can understand why you would want a spare mask strap - but a spare mask? Would that be necessary or is that down to the ole scout motto of "Be prepared"??? [QUOTE]

I draw from my early mishaps
    I was on a post-dinner night dive on my first Tubbataha liveaboard. Because the divemaster and I were seated beside each other on the chaseboat, we inadvertently switched masks in the scramble for gear in the dark. In the course of the night dive, he and I had our own puzzled thought balloons: his mask was tigher than usual and mine was looser (turns out his strap had the beginnings of a tear that he was fond of ).
    On the surface, while waiting for the others to scramble up on the boat, he and I compared our tally of marine turtles and, with the moon out from behind the clouds now, noticed that we were wearing each other's masks! As he handed me my mask, he fumbled and it feeeell (our lights were too feeble by then).
    Imagine my chagrin with 4 more multi-dive days to go! I ended up buying from the liveaboard's shop (I didn't want to tell the DM for how much ).
    Now, I have two spare masks, hehe. You never really know.
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

2 adjustable wrenches
    retractable Stanly knife w/spare blades
    dentist tool
    o-rings of varios sizes.
    HP swivvel pin /O-rings
    silicone grease
    alen keys 4-5-6 mm
    box screw driver w/bits of varios drive bits and box dirve. 1/4 inch
    4.5-14 mm 1/4" drive socket set
    zipties
    pliers/cutters
    spare HP hose w/SPG + one spare short HP hose.
    LP hose w/scubapro inflator end (you can take it off and it becomes a regular LP hose)
    2 mouth piece
    second stage
    LP Poppets
    mask strap
    2 finstraps w/buckels
    bungee cord
    tweezers
    THERMO Tanks valve parts (just incase a tank valve gets busted, has happend to me b4 a dive.
    spare mask
    spare HP seat for my regs, never had to use it though.
    small fine steel file.
    electical tape
    hommade tool for opening tank valves
    BC inflator compleate
    spare diafragms for second stages big and small
    thats what i can remember atm
    small chisel+350 gr' hammer
    all this fits nicely in an old brief case i got. its alittle heavy but for the type of diving i do when away from the shop, i would rather be prepared for anything.
    boat diving i often take a spare reg with me.
    this kit has saved buddys and myself quite a few times.
    it is not recommended to have all this stuff if you are not a certified equipment technician or at least know exactly what your doing.
    Aces saveadivekit covers most common things.
    first aid kit + O2 w/ambu suction
    sell phone that is in the O2 kit ALL the time.
    spare batteries and bulbs for lights
    Last edited by Diverdaniel; 08-31-2007 at 06:36 AM.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Agree with everything so far but would add:

Double ended Scraeder valve tool.
    Set of Jewellers screwdrivers.
    Couple of Boltsnaps.
    Handful of loops cut from old bicycle inner tube. (for attatching aforementioned Boltsnaps.)
    Handful of chemical light sticks.
    Several litres of fresh water.
    Throw bag.
    Pair of Binoculars.
    Notebook and several spare pencils.

My original S-A-D kit was built up over time with assorted bits and pieces that I acquired/found and was stored in a waterproof box that I bought in a Yacht chandlers. Unfortunately it, along with a lot of camping gear and my original dive log, was stolen from the back of my car a couple of months back so I've got to start all over again. Maybe i'll make up two kits and leave one at home!
    Last edited by rubber chicken; 08-31-2007 at 04:33 PM.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast