Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm now AOW!!! Hehe

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

The torch I used was a big one! I don't know what make or model it was. So long as it worked i didn't care. All I remember was that it had two bulbs :S

Just found a similar one on leisurepro....
    http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Categ...SW2.html?Hit=1

Now what would be ideal would be to have the light/torch affixed to my head (akin to the hardhats you wear when caving ....hmmm...maybe I need to patent that idea
    Last edited by lottie; 08-27-2007 at 03:56 PM.
    Lottie

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    Lottie,

Congratulations on the new card, remember it is only a licence to continue learning.

Good luck, and keep learning!!
    Oh dont worry. I'm going to keep on learning. Not diving this week as I've got more important things that I need to get done, but going out again next week to try and put my buoyancy skills to the test

Apart from other reasons, I wanted to get my AOW before I go out to St Maarten. It wasn't a pre-requisite, but it gives me a greater expanse of doing different diving while there (i think there are a few wrecks around as well.)Thereby increasing my diving experience, rather than diving just in St Lucia (yes, okay, I know its still the caribbean......)

I have no idea when I'll do my Rescue, but hopefully before the end of the year (depending on what else happens)
    Lottie

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    The torch I used was a big one! I don't know what make or model it was. So long as it worked i didn't care. All I remember was that it had two bulbs :S

Just found a similar one on leisurepro....
    http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Categ...SW2.html?Hit=1

Now what would be ideal would be to have the light/torch affixed to my head (akin to the hardhats you wear when caving ....hmmm...maybe I need to patent that idea

That light has an incandescent bulb. Now listen to me close!!!! A LARGE SIZE DOES NOT MEAN BETTER!!!! ....... errrrrr...... A larger sized LIGHTis not better. The small LED lights put out a fantastic amount of light. I am not sure of the lumens (measurement of light) but this site should begin to "enlighten" you. http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.as...72&Context=965

The key is the LED tag. There are other manufacturers, but they will be more expensive and not as readily available. As for the helmet mounted lights......NO!!!! These mounts (head) are nothing but a major annoyance for those around you, for you can not look at anyone without blinding them! So, communication is very difficult, and it is irritating to have to look to see something, rather than "sweeping from side to side", looking and then focusing on something that may have caught your eye.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Now listen to me close!!!! A LARGE SIZE DOES NOT MEAN BETTER!!!! ....... errrrrr...... A larger sized LIGHTis not better.
    LOL, so you think......LOL

These mounts (head) are nothing but a major annoyance for those around you, for you can not look at anyone without blinding them! So, communication is very difficult, and it is irritating to have to look to see something, rather than "sweeping from side to side", looking and then focusing on something that may have caught your eye.
    VERY TRUE! The head mounted lights are good for use as an auxillary light, but not good for your main or backup. There are times when they can be useful, for example if you are digging for artifacts on a wreck using a scooter. If you don't have someone helping you (holding the flashlight and looking) then the head mounted light could be a great help.

I must say, it really sucks when you get one of these new ultra bright lights shined in your face! It really can throw off your "night vision" and is not cool. Of course it happens sometimes, but it is something you should really be aware of when using a light during the day or night.

By the way, the light you used is available in regular incadescent and now in an LED version which is the one I was saying my dive buddy has. That particular light is probablly the best bang for your buck in lighting right now. He bought it in a pack with 2 other lights, a LED backup that takes 4 aa's (which is still crazy bright!) and a flashing mini strobe (which is not worth crap!!).

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Here is a link to the light we are talking about:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Categ...SWL.html?Hit=1

I'm not sold on led, quite yet. I have both but my halogen light gives me a lot lot lot more depth. Led is brighter and a nice color light but it only illuminates stuff up close. So I use my halogen as my primary and led as back up.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Really? I felt just the opposite. My halogen only lights up a pretty narrow area. I was messing around with a few of the lights we all have over here, and the thing that I liked about the LED lights is that I thought they were not only spot lights, but had a lot of area lighting as well. It definately lit the inside of the wreck much more than my halogen.

Plus the color of the light is so nice.

Anyway if you have one that you don't really like, I have a 8-D cell light that I would be willing to put up for trade towards a LED!

thanks for the offer but don't think I want to lugg two 8D lights. I agree about the spot light with halogen that's what I was trying to refer to in the previous post. I'd rather see furter away(depth) than have a brighter up closer area, if that makes any sense

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    Pinay that's exactly what I was going to say, enter right at or a little before sunset when it's still light out, and keep the dive pretty shallow.
    Thanks for affirming and adding on, hbh2oguard

Hi Lottie,
    I've also been meaning to add that the site that our then instructor chose for navigation during the day was the same site that we returned to for night diving hours later. Not only were we relatively familiar with the terrain by then (especially since our navigation had a bit of "search and retrieval" thrown in for fun), seeing immediately how the same site put on a different "face" after dark added to our being hooked. The pros here would say it's fairly standard to pick a site for night diving that you've swam through early on the same day. Or at least the pros I've dived with
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    I'm not sold on led, quite yet. I have both but my halogen light gives me a lot lot lot more depth. Led is brighter and a nice color light but it only illuminates stuff up close. So I use my halogen as my primary and led as back up.

It all has to do with the ability to focus the beam of light. LED lights are brighter than halogen. The true difference is in the ability to harness the light for a specific purpose. I have found the LED's that do not focus, are good for lighting up the immediate area, but not the area away from the diver. For me personally, in the caves, I find the ability to focus the beam is imperative, so I am able to communicate by signaling. Another point to consider is the lights of your dive partners. Your light (or theirs) could "wash out" the counterparts light with the intensity of the brighter light. This could lead to confusion and the inability to communicate. Sooooooooo the light that is bright and can be focused, with out over-powering your dive team mate's light is the puuuurrrrrrrfect light.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast