Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I'm now AOW!!! Hehe

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    I agree about the spot light with halogen that's what I was trying to refer to in the previous post. I'd rather see furter away(depth) than have a brighter up closer area, if that makes any sense

Oh, I think I miss understood what you were saying. I was under the impression you wanted a light that worded better at depth, not for seeing depth. You know for deeper dives, not longer sight.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by PinayDiver View Post
    Thanks for affirming and adding on, hbh2oguard

Hi Lottie,
    I've also been meaning to add that the site that our then instructor chose for navigation during the day was the same site that we returned to for night diving hours later. Not only were we relatively familiar with the terrain by then (especially since our navigation had a bit of "search and retrieval" thrown in for fun), seeing immediately how the same site put on a different "face" after dark added to our being hooked. The pros here would say it's fairly standard to pick a site for night diving that you've swam through early on the same day. Or at least the pros I've dived with
    thats exactly what we did - the UW Nav was done at the shore site and so was the night dive - thinking back now (IMHO, hindsight is a wonderful thing ) i didn't really take much notice of the 'lay of the land' as such when we did the Nav dive.
    Thats also what they say in the AOW book to dive the site during the day before doing the night dive.

think i'll take more notice of whats around me next time i dive and do some natural navigation
    Lottie

amtrosie thanks for the info. So I guess my led doesn't focus the light, I might have to try another one. I know previous post said the size and amount of batteries doesn't matter, but how so? I've also noticed most led are C4 or maybe C8 while halogen are mostly D4 or D8.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    amtrosie thanks for the info. So I guess my led doesn't focus the light, I might have to try another one. I know previous post said the size and amount of batteries doesn't matter, but how so? I've also noticed most led are C4 or maybe C8 while halogen are mostly D4 or D8.

First the batteries are there to support the power requirement of the LED. Remember that LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. So the bigger the Diode, the more more the power required to support. There are lots of torches out there using 4 AA, 3,4, or 6 C cell batteries. It is important to note that these "bulbs" (diodes) are very durable and require less power than others (hence increased battery life). They are however, more expensive. The halogen bulbs are more brittle, but less expensive. The cost is the primary reason that most of the larger lights are halogen, and not LED

This may be me being "picky", but the reflector focuses the light beam. The light is already there, it is the beam of light that requires attention. For that is what is used for signaling.

All right, I am now officailly a geek!!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    All right, I am now officailly a geek!!
    yep, your a geek

but thats good as we can ask you loads of questions and know that we'll get a good geekie answer. Hehehe
    Lottie

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

Well done Lottie!

Now go and get some dives in!
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Yay Lottie! Wahooo! *cheering, applause* Great job ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234