Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm now AOW!!! Hehe

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Default I'm now AOW!!! Hehe

Well, after all those indecisions - I've finally done it.

The deep - didn't seem deep - and I went into a semi-type cave
    The UW nav - I got off-track LOL
    The night - wasn't so good - got a bit claustrophobic
    The wreck - absolutely fantastic. Want to do that again - AND I can penetrate it (those of you that do wreck diving, don't worry, this isn't complete penetration, as most of the bits that you can go into here are still classed as open water - if that makes sense
    The Peak buoyancy- i was jumping through hoops

next stop - Rescue
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

CONGRATS!!!!

Don't worry about the navigation, it seems to take most students a while to get the hang of it. Just keep trying.

Sorry to hear that you did not have a great night dive. I love night dives, in fact we went last night and had a blast! Something you can try to help you get over your fear with the night diving thing is to go on or near a full moon. With a nice clear night and a full moon, the entire reef will be easy to see.....even without a light (which you will still have of course). But anyway, that should help with your laustrophobia.

By the way, if you already did not know it, wreck diving is my favorite thing, glad to know that you are hooked!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Cheers for that Ace,
    The night dive was okay to start off with - in about 20ft, half moon, and semi-clear viz. But saying that since Dean, the viz hasn't been as good as it should, which might be another reason. Anyway, i'm digressing. Once we got down to about 40ft, it was alot darker, and holding the light, trying not to bang into the reef (which I nearly did and put my hand very close to a spiny urchin!!), trying to equalise, wondering where the hell I was going. It just got too much and I just had to ascend and get outta there, otherwise, I would probably get more panicky and that wouldn't have been good.
    I think I might try it again once I've got another 20 or so dives logged and see if i'm any better. By that time I might be more relaxed (and check whether there's a full moon or not )

As for the wreck - WOW!!! - There were 9 other divers with another instructor (as well as me and my OWSI/friend) and they were able to go in the wreck, my OWSI said that I can go into the wreck but not on the AOW course..hence why I want to do the wreck dive again - and its a double-tank dive, so once they do the wreck, have an SI of 40 mins and some gorgeous fresh fruit on the boat while anchored at Anse Cochon then over to the Anse La Raye wall reef for the second dive.
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Double Tank Dive? Do you mean you are going to need to wear doubles, or do you mean that you do two dives, with a SI between?

Anyway, if you really liked the wreck dive, maybe you should think about taking a specific wreck dive course. They will teach you many things, but some of the cool things will be lift bags, wreck reels and lines, deeper deep dives, redundant gas supply, deco stops and such. I am sure all classes are not the same, but that some of the stuff they teach here.

Well, I am off to head to the dive boat. Have a good one.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

A double-tank dive is one tank per dive with an SI on the boat (shore at Anse Cochon)

I don't think I'll get into wreck diving in a big way (she says that now..but in a few years time...hmmm)

Anyway. I need sleep. All this divings tired me out
    Lottie

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Nicely done, Lottie.
    Go play underwater every chance you get!
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Underwater navigation? Just get one of those Xios Tracker thingies....

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Congrats Lottie

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

Congrats Lottie!!!

PS: Check your PM's..
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Congrats Lottie! Why not descend just before twilight so there's still plenty of light to keep you well-oriented. By the time night falls, you've comfortably eased into your dive. When you eventually break the surface, a blanket of stars is already overhead. This might help ease you into night diving which is one of the reasons we love scuba (as Quero's posted song goes, haha, no escaping it )
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast