Thread: Shipwreck of The Great Isaac

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Default Shipwreck of The Great Isaac

We are going to dive the wreck of The Great Isaac this weekend. I am really excited about this wreck as I read about it and dreamed of diving it when I was in my early teens. There are so many wrecks of the coast of NJ that are diveable, but this is one that stands out in my mind because it is still intact, which is a rare thing around here. Most wrecks have in these parts have been depth charged, used for target practice, and wire dragged, so you can imagine their condition.

Capt. Dan Berg wrote this about the wreck:

The Great Isaac was a185 foot long, 37 foot wide V-4 ocean going tug. She was built by General Ship and Engine Works, Boston, Massachusetts, in 1944 and was powered by twin diesel engines.

On April 16, 1947,while towing the Thomas M Cooley, a liberty ship, from Norfolk, Virginia, to New York, and while passing through a dense fog bank, she was struck amid ships on her port side by the Norwegian freighter, Bandeirante. Captain Ernest Mc Cleary, and 27 of his crew abandoned ship and were lucky enough to be picked up by the Bandeirante. The Great Isaac was doomed and went down shortly after.

Today, the Great Isaac is a fantastic three dimensional shipwreck. Her totally intact remains rest on her port side and are buried so that only half of her hull rises above the sea bed. Depth at the wreck ranges from 85 to 90 feet. This wreck is often penetrated by experienced wreck divers looking for artifacts and lobsters. Just remember that due to the extreme angle at which this tug lies, it is easy to get disoriented. As always, a penetration line is recommended. Chuck Zimmaro drew a beautiful detailed sketch of this wreck on the bottom. His drawing allows divers who have never been on her to get a clear picture of how she rests before even getting wet.

I have attached an old photo of The Great Isaac before she went down, a sketch on a t-shirt and the sketch that Chuck Zimmaro drew.

If anyone has any additional info on this wreck or has been diving on this wreck, please post any info you have. Especially what type of artifacts have been found in the wreck and even better where in the wreck. I am going to try to find out where the galley was, because I think silver and china should be there.
    Last edited by acelockco; 06-04-2008 at 02:04 AM.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Sounds interesting.
    You'll have to let us know how it went once you've been there.
    Lottie

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I will let you know everything I find out. I may bring my U/W cam, but I really hate lugging that thing on and off the boat and such. If I do get photos, I will post them for everyone.

Registered Users

Default Sketch of the Great Issac

The second drawing you have posted of the Great Issac showing a view of the wreck from above the wheel house is not the work of Chuck Zimarro. Gary Gentile and I surveyed the wreck in the early 1980's and I did the drawing (great_isaac_sketch.gif) which you have copied from the back cover of Gary Book about NJ Wrecks. Gary and I hold the copywrite to this artwork. Chuck did produce his own art of the Great Issac a "bow" view of the wreck site. His drawing shows divers and a dive boat moored over the wreck. Gary and I would appreciate the proper credit for our work.
    Regards, Joe Milligan - Cape May, NJ

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Here is an updated photo with credit to Joe Milligan for his work on this beautiful sketch.
    Last edited by acelockco; 06-04-2008 at 02:04 AM.