Thread: Diving in Chuuk

Hybrid View

Registered Users
    City
    Guernsey
    Country
    Great Britain

The Australian dive operator gave me the option of 'waiting' to see when Thorfinn would be back in action, but thought it best to opt for the hotel, as I am sure the few there will get fully booked up fairly soon. Should be an opportunity of a lifetime - but could not get a dive buddy from home to come along with me. It's not one of the cheapest dive destinations.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I was told it is going to be years before the ship is ready for diving again. You still do have options though. You could stay at a hotel/resort and do boat/beach diving. The other option is to look into another live aboard dive operation. I know the Agressor fleet has a live aboard there that is still running.

Maybe you could do a return trip in a few years to try out the rebuilt boat and compair it to the agressor boat.

Registered Users
    City
    Guernsey
    Country
    Great Britain

Thanks. I checked the other live-aboards and they were fully booked up. I am sorted, staying at the Truk Stop Hotel - and will do 2 dives a day. So all is not lost - as I said previously, the Australian travel co have been brilliant. Should be great, as I am a very keen wreck diver.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Now that is a funny name for a place to stay! Really funny.

Anyway, please let us know all about your trip and share your photos with us when you get back.

Have a great time.

Ace

Registered Users
    City
    Guernsey
    Country
    Great Britain

Thanks Ace - ALL of them. Kind of twisted my employers arm to give me three months off work; as a UK BSAC instructor doing a PADI instructor conversion with unlimited diving in Thailand... then Hong Kong..yes, there is diving there, and finially Chuuk. Will be pretty much dived out - but what the heck, you only live once.

Based in the Channel Islands - UK, just had a weekend in Plymouth, where we dived some fab WW2 wrecks. Viz was out this world.. think it was the best UK diving I had done.

Cheers
    Fred

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Nice!

I think UK diving is very similar to the type of diving over here. Cold water, heavy currents, large waves, etc.

I am sure once you get back, you will suddenly miss the diving. Dived out.....nay...!