Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If this doesn't bring a smile to your face....

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Cool, thanks for the info. Of course I know we all know who Cousteau is. I think most of us know Hans Hass too. I don't know who Lotte is, but I do know a soon to be famous dive master in St. Lucia named Lottie!

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Or that new punk rock band "Lottie and the livestock"
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info. Of course I know we all know who Cousteau is. I think most of us know Hans Hass too. I don't know who Lotte is, but I do know a soon to be famous dive master in St. Lucia named Lottie!
    I'm going to show my dive naivety here - I don't know who Hans Haas is (I have heard of Cousteu though

From what I've been told in the past - Lotte (without the I) is of dutch origin.
    Lottie (with the I) is an abbreviation of the name Charlotte is of germanic origin and means womanly

There you go, you learn something new every day

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    Or that new punk rock band "Lottie and the livestock"
    BwaHaHaHaHaHa...soon to be playing in a barn somewhere
    Lottie

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Hans Hass (born January 23, 1919 in Vienna, Austria) is a diving pioneer and mainly known for his documentaries about sharks, the energon theory, and his commitment to the protection of the environment.

For more info go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Hass

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Not a big fan of wikipedia as anyone can post anything they like, true or untrue. Here's a site that may be of interest: easy to read and understand.

http://www.hans-hass.de/Englisch/index_english.htm

Enjoy!

FD

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I was not aware of anything like that on wikipedia, I have to check that out. Anyway you can always look up Hans at the local library. Even there you may get authors that write whatever they want as long as they have the ability to get their book published (which is not too hard).

The only problem with your link fooddude is it ONLY talks about The Energon Theory and nothing at all about Hans or SCUBA.

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
    Not a big fan of wikipedia as anyone can post anything they like, true or untrue. Here's a site that may be of interest: easy to read and understand.

http://www.hans-hass.de/Englisch/index_english.htm

Enjoy!

FD
    Well, sort of. Anyone can post, but also there is a vetting process, and other users can challenge the content. There are discussion pages for this, and any entry that has its content challenged or questioned for accuracy, tone, bias, etc. carries a warning announcement at the top along with a link to the discussion. I'm a professional writer, and I find a great deal of the content at Wikipedia pretty useful for general information, espcially articles like the one cited regarding Hans Hass. You can tell by the solid documentation in the references list.

Like anything you read (including your local newspaper and this discussion list) you must use your own brain when you consult Wikipedia, and read critically.

But anyway, thanks for the additional link!
    Last edited by Quero; 08-24-2007 at 02:17 AM.

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Even there you may get authors that write whatever they want as long as they have the ability to get their book published (which is not too hard).
    I apologize, Ace, for having to disabuse you of your mistaken impression, but it is exceedingly hard to get published in print! Of course, there's always "vanity press." You can find ads for a number of "publishers" in the Sunday supplements.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Quero View Post
    I apologize, Ace, for having to disabuse you of your mistaken impression, but it is exceedingly hard to get published in print! Of course, there's always "vanity press." You can find ads for a number of "publishers" in the Sunday supplements.

It is ok, I can take it.....anyway my idea of being easy to get published is just because I personally know of two divers that have many books published. Now they are published by a small company that was paid for this job, but anyway, their books are in dive shops that I have been to.

So, you can always self publish. I don't know if this is "vanity press" or what.

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

[QUOTE=Quero;6598]...Anyone can post, but also there is a vetting process, and other users can challenge the content...QUOTE]

Seeing that Wikipedia came up in the discussion, you guys will probably enjoy this:

http://www.slate. com/id/2172703/

which features the very interesting and clever "Wikiscanner" (featured in
    The Colbert Report's Word of the Day monologue ), developed by a Caltech student (and self-described Disruptive Technologist).

This guy took the supposedly anonymous Wikipedia-page edits and correlated them with the IP addresses.

Excerpt of some cited results: "An Exxon IP cleaned up the section on the effects of the Valdez oil spill, cheerfully noting 'six of the largest salmon harvests in history were recorded in the decade immediately following the spill.' A Philip Morris IP deleted this sentence from a history paragraph of the 'Marlboro (cigarette)' page: 'It emerged as the number one youth-initiation brand.' "

What a stink bomb! I rather liked the (all-is-not-lost) wrap-up towards the end: "...for the moment, the open-source encyclopedia seems to be holding the fort against the forces of idiocy and spin." Idiocy and spin, haha. I guess, in the end, it's that baby-and-bathwater kind of thing.
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast