Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If this doesn't bring a smile to your face....

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    It is ok, I can take it.....anyway my idea of being easy to get published is just because I personally know of two divers that have many books published. Now they are published by a small company that was paid for this job, but anyway, their books are in dive shops that I have been to.

So, you can always self publish. I don't know if this is "vanity press" or what.
    Yes, that is vanity press. The writer pays for the whole cost of printing and binding, does the distribution him/herself, and hopes that enough books will be sold to recoup the cost. Yes, anyone can see their words in print in this way. And no, there's no quality control whatsoever.

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Yeah, Lu-Ann, I had read the NY Times article a couple of weeks ago--the Wikiscanner is brilliant and will make an already good source of general information even better. Any wiki (not just Wikipedia) is vulnerable to self-interest editing. The Times article quotes one expert and notes:
    Internet experts, for the most part, have welcomed WikiScanner. “I’m very glad that this has been exposed,” said Susan P. Crawford, a visiting professor at the University of Michigan Law School. “Wikipedia is a reliable first stop for getting information about a huge variety of things, and it shouldn’t be manipulated as a public relations arm of major companies.”

Most of the corporate revisions did not stay posted for long. Many Wikipedia entries are in a constant state of flux as they are edited and re-edited, and the site’s many regular volunteers and administrators tend to keep an eye out for bias.
    And as I said earlier, whenever we read anything we need to use our brains and read critically.

But wouldn't you be tempted to "improve" a Wiki article about yourself? I would :-)
    Last edited by Quero; 08-29-2007 at 12:04 AM.

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Sure, just hide our IP addresses
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by PinayDiver View Post
    Sure, just hide our IP addresses
    (and a couple more to make up the minimum character count)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234