Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lottie, let us know ASAP

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by PinayDiver View Post
    Winds tearing off roofs, boulders from the sea rolling onto downtown streets, drowning to save livestock, etc. all sound terrible! Reassuring (especially since we get the worst from the news) that someone from there remains her usual ebullient self and -- despite, despite -- still thinking of the diving!
    Lu Ann, Thanks for that, seems you know me better than I know myself
    Better get back to reading my AOW book on UW Navigation
    Lottie

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

If anyone's interested. I took a drive around the area earlier today and took some photos of Deans 'wrath' which can be found here -->
    http://www.lotties-shenanigans.com/A...ks/CALR-767LAN

Right, back to that AOW book
    Lottie

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Nice pics; did you find your livestock?
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Nah....don't have any...except the dogs!!! and they were all fine
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

What, no chickens?

LOL

I liked your photos. Looks like the damage was minor, good thing.

Now get back into dive mode.

Glad to hear the pooches or ok!

City
    Hayward
    State
    CA
    Country
    USA

Lottie,
    Glad to hear that you, your family and the island are all ok!

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Hey that's a great idea with the bath tub.

Another thing you can do is get a rain barrel. If you can't get one or don't have one handy, you can make one in a pinch.

Get a trash can (nice big one for outside), clean it out really well, I would use some bleach. Put a few big heavy rocks or weights in the bottom. (Omit this step with a new can)Take a new can liner(heavy duty water proof one) and line the can. Take some cheese cloth or similar and place over the top of the can, duct tape it in place as a filter. Place the can under the edge of your roof after the rain has started (wait until the rain has started for a while to make sure everything is clean).

Fresh drinking water provided by the storm that stoped your water to start with. Of course you can boil or filter the water if you feel necessary, but the water should be more than fine as it is.

Anyway, back to things:

Glad to hear everything is settling down from the storm. Sounds like you suffered so much.....LOL, some relax time is always good!

Hey Ace,

Have you been in a Hurricane? The wind is whipping around so strong that anything that isn't rooted in concrete and driven down into the ground several feet is flying away.

Filling containers with water, is a must. Portable generators are a must. propane grills to replace electric stoves are a must. (this is why propane and kerosene stove/refrigerators are good) I have nice little list from the 2004 and 2005 season here in Florida.

Glad to hear all made it through the storm. Look out for trees that are leaning precariously. Loose limbs and the like are more likely to kill and injure than the actual storm.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Amtrosie - you're right about the containers, If i didn't have the quick thinking of filling up the jugs that morning, I would have been a bit stuck for water (i did have 5 bottles of water, but in the end didn't use them).

The only problem with portable generators is that they are expensive over here...as my parents look in on them for the guesthouse...

I went up to Castries this morning - which is in the north of the island - and there are still debris over the road. Some of the tree trunks have been cut with a chainsaw, so the traffic can get past. There's a numerous amount of landslides on the west coast (as thats the most hilly side and the pitons), plus it's been raining today (still friggin' hot and humid), which probably doesn't help the clearing up.
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    Hey Ace,

Have you been in a Hurricane? The wind is whipping around so strong that anything that isn't rooted in concrete and driven down into the ground several feet is flying away.

Filling containers with water, is a must. Portable generators are a must. propane grills to replace electric stoves are a must. (this is why propane and kerosene stove/refrigerators are good)
    Yes I have been in a few.

I agree with you 100% with all of your ideas. Anyway my idea with the rain barrel to collect water was to be used if there was not water already stored and you were still getting rain. Considering the high winds, I said to put weights in the bottom or large rocks. You could even tie it or steak it down. Of course filling up jugs with water BEFORE the storm is the best idea.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast