Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lottie, let us know ASAP

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Default Lottie, let us know ASAP

...how things are with you and your area with Dean bearing down for a direct strike. My thoughts are with you.

Q.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I just looked at the sat. image of the storm and it looks like the storm really just hit St. Lucia. They are in for a long night! I am sure the internet will be one of the first things to go down over there, but you never know.

Lottie and anyone else over in that area, we are with you and wish you the best! Hope that tomorrow is bright and sunny for you!

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Hey Guys,
    It's not too bad over here at the moment (about 10pm - same time zone as new york!)
    We've had rain, mad rumbles of thunder, a bit of wind, some branches have fallen off the trees and onto the road and quite a bit of sheet lightening. Nothing scary as yet.

I was supposed to go diving this afternoon, but the LDS phoned me up and said that they were cancelling the afternoon boat dive due to the storm - so instead I did the morning boat dive. The current was a bit stronger than normal (Ace - i didn't have any problems with my ears and equalized on every few breaths - ha!)
    They were hankering down for the storm as well - clearing things away, filling up sandbags and getting the boats up to marigot bay which is more enclosed.

I'll update again in the morning and let you know that i'm still here
    Lottie

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Please do that.
    Take care.

ASW
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Hope all is well over there.

Keep us updated.

FD

Best wishes!
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Default Any word from Lottie?

So this is a news report from AOL taken Friday.

"The Atlantic season's first hurricane grew into a Category 3 storm with sustained winds of 125 mph after crossing over the warm waters of the Caribbean and forecasters warned it could grow into a monster tempest with 150 mph winds before steering next week into the Gulf of Mexico, with its 4,000 oil and gas platforms.

Dean could threaten the United States by Wednesday, forecasters said, and Texas Gov. Rick Perry's office suggested people get ready.

On tiny St. Lucia, fierce winds tore corrugated metal roofs from dozens of houses and a hospital's pediatric ward, whose patients had been evacuated hours earlier. Police said a 62-year-old man drowned when he tried to retrieve a cow from a rain-swollen river......

......Dean was forecast to brush the southern coast of Haiti late Saturday, then hit Jamaica on Sunday and strengthen to Category 4 status, with winds between 131 and 155 mph, before clipping Yucatan two days later. The State Department was preparing to authorize some U.S. diplomats on Jamaica to leave before the storm.

On Yucatan, Mexican authorities broadcast radio alerts, including in the Yucatec Maya language, warning people to "be prepared." Some people boarded up windows and stocked up on supplies, while officials prepared some 570 schools, gymnasiums and public buildings as shelters.

People on Martinique, St. Lucia and Dominica mostly stayed indoors Friday while the hurricane swept the islands with heavy rain and wind. People who ventured out said the islands seemed to have escaped serious damage....

...On St. Lucia, the storm washed boulders from the sea onto downtown streets and knocked down trees. The power company shut off electricity across the island to prevent people from being electrocuted by wires broken by falling trees and power poles.......

......At 1:45 p.m. EDT, Dean was centered about 175 miles west of Martinique and moving west at 22 mph.

Forecasters said it was too early to tell whether the storm would eventually strike the U.S. coast somewhere, but officials were getting ready just in case.

"It's so far out, but it's not too early to start preparing," said Katherine Cesinger, a spokeswoman for Texas's governor.

Energy futures rose Friday on the news that Dean could move into the Gulf of Mexico, which produces roughly 25 percent of the United States' oil and 15 percent of its natural gas. Royal Dutch Shell PLC said it would evacuate 275 nonessential personnel from the Gulf, adding to the 188 who left earlier this week before another tropical storm struck Texas.

In Mexico, government emergency officials on Yucatan made plans for dealing with the region's 60,000 domestic and foreign tourists. If Dean continued on its track toward the peninsula, which includes the resort of Cancun, State Tourism Secretary Gabriela Rodriguez said the government would advise the U.S., Canada and Europe to warn tourists to postpone visits.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Dean could develop into an extremely dangerous Category 4 hurricane as it approached Yucatan on Tuesday. But the forecasters stressed that intensity predictions can be inaccurate so far in advance.

Associated Press writers Ellsworth Carter in Roseau, Dominica, Herve Preval in Fort-de-France, Martinique, and Paul Kiernan in Mexico City contributed to this report.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
    2007-08-17 03:55:25

Please keep Lottie and her island neighbors in your thoughts and prayers until we hear from her.

Anthony
    ASW

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Hey guys.
    Just got electricity back - I switched on my PC this morning at 6AM (its now 7PM) and it all went off after 2 mins!

We've had thunder, sheet lightening, howling wind, rain like anything on and off all day...
    Looking at the weather forecasts, even though it looks as though its gone past St Lucia, we're still, even now, getting rain and thunder rumblings.

It's also been quite boring due to no TV and no PC, plus no water! All i've been doing is sleeping, then up for a bit to see whats happening outside, then going back to sleep...

Well, I've got electricity back, but no water. Oh well !! they might turn it back on later (hopefully!)

I haven't been out to see what the local area is like as I don't have any petrol in the jeep and no where is open (well, apart from one rum bar, so i've heard!!!)

Edit - Anthony - you typed that up quick!!! that wasn't there when I started this reply!
    Lottie

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Welcome back!

Heck with the water, go for a hurricane dive!
    ASW

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Good to hear you are now on the back side of the storm!

Yeah, in my experience the wind from hurricanes/typhoons/tropical storms stays around for a long time, but shifts direction usually. "Your" storm is moving pretty fast, so you should be seeing more sporadic bands of rain as the day passes. Good luck with the island clean up. Next time (yes, next time), fill your bathtub with water before the storm hits so that you've got some clean water for post-storm usage. It often takes a while for water mains to get all the sludge out and know that supplies are safe.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast