Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just joined

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Thanks for the expert opinion Ace, maybe I can pick your brains about another subject soon!
    Anytime, I love to help out.

Ace

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

Default Welcome!

Welcome aboard! I use a prescription in my mask. I always have. My first mask died earlier this season so I just got (and love!) the new Mares Liquidskin. Quite an investment when the lenses are in, but I love it. Soft, comfortable, like they said.

Even though I am not nearly blind (rarely use glasses on land) I decided to use scripts while underwater because I don't want to miss anything. I want to see it all. Even if it just makes things a bit sharper, it's worth it in my opinion. Of course, money is always an object in this gear intensive sport of ours, and if you don't have all of the little things, you may want to spend that money elsewhere. I keep an old, non-prescription mask in my gearbag "just-in-case" and need to wear it. I have, and I've had great dives with it. Especially because like Ace, I too dive in lots of low vis conditions in the Northeast US.

Good luck, and welcome.

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks daddyh20 & other replyers;
    Tonight I got to the stage of being able to breathe mask off without rushing to get it back on & clear (eyes closed of course) but it goes to show practice & pushing yourself a bit builds confidence - wherever you are in the world!

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks fooddude, I have been doing all my skills with closed eyes so far, but in future would like to be able to open them as normal vision divers do, although I am told if if you can find your equipment blind it makes you a better diver!

City
    Merrick
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

True. It helps to know your equipment well enough to be able to put it on, take it off and back again, make adjustments, etc. all with eyes closed.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Thanks fooddude, I have been doing all my skills with closed eyes so far, but in future would like to be able to open them as normal vision divers do, although I am told if if you can find your equipment blind it makes you a better diver!
    Welcome aboard, Andy.

It may be more useful to practice your different skills with your eyes open anyway; limited vision is way more useful to me than none.

Besides, you can always cup two fingers over your eyebrow, look down and exhale air into the pocket, making an instant mini-mask!

Best Fishes,

ASW
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Wow, talk about thinking out of the box! I will experiment with this in 2m methinks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12