Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just joined

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Default Just joined

Hi

I passed my open water just in time to go diving in Mauritius in April, bit of a difference to winter in lake district, my first question is as I am shortsighted so far i have been diving in contact lenses. This means all the skills have been done with closed eyes; would anyone recommend investing in prescription lenses and does it make the experience any different?

I have only 9 logged dives so still have a lot to learn!

Thanks

Andy

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

First things first, CONGRATS on your new certification! Welcome to our cool hangout on the web.

Now, I can barely see without my glasses, but I am able to do fine without anything special during my dives. I am nearsighted, so I can read my gauges without a problem and the first few feet are not too bad. Now I also generally dive in very low visibility places anyway.

I have used contacts in the past, and that works great. If you do already have contacts, then just wear them.

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks for the advice, I went into my local dive store (Warrington England)with my birthday spending money, intending on getting fins, and spent the lot on an Oceanic wetsuit & shortie as I am going to Spain in a few weeks! When I have more money, are there any leading designs? I have tried the Mares which seem OK but was recommended the Oceanic fins as a good value starter.

Andy

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Andy,

Do a search for Leg Kicking on this site and you will find a thread started by Lottie on the subject of fins. There are as many opinions as there are fins, so get what works best for you. I personally like the old style vented fins like the IDI, Turtles, Scuba Pro Jet fins, Dacor Turbo Flex, ect.

Ace

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Hey Andy,
    Welcome to the boards and congrats on getting your OW cert. I admire your courage of diving in England (not something that I would do - I'm an expat brit), I prefer the warm-waters

But Mauritius must have been good for diving? Can you elaborate on the diving out there?

Here's a link to the Leg Kicking thread that Ace mentioned
    Leg Kicking - ScubaMagazine.net Forum
    Lottie

City
    Lexington
    State
    Ky
    Country
    USA

Andy,
    I am near sighted as well, but the water acts as a Magnifyer as well. So when I am underwater everything seems equal and I have no trouble judging distances like some of my 20/20 friends do. Good luck and welcome to the 2/3rds of the world that you have never seen.

Country
    USA

Welcome Andy!

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks for the expert opinion Ace, maybe I can pick your brains about another subject soon!

City
    CHESHIRE
    Country
    ENGLAND

Thanks for that perspective and for your wishes!

Welcome,

My wife has her perscription in her mask and wouldn't change it for the world. Just a diffrent point of view. I know a few divers that have had bi-focals in. I would suggest investing in a set once you find a mask you truely like. (I went through a few mask before I settled in, my wife has been diving the same mask for years) Bottom line is if you are comfortable without then by all means use the money else were.

But doing a skill like mask flood and clear is on your terms and you were prepared to close your eyes. How fast can you react if a fin knockes your mask off?

Just voicing an opinion.
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast