PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite dive destinations

SayNo2Snow
08-09-2007, 03:24 AM
We are trying to determine the best place to go diving for our annual winter vacation (10 days). We've been diving in Akumal, MX for the past 5 years and want somewhere new.

Here is our criteria:
We live in Alberta, Canada and want to get there fast so don't want to have to overnight. (Australia, Thailand, Red Sea are too far)
Will do about 12 - 15 dives - not want a live-aboard because we want to see other things too
Must have lots of beach.
Prefer condo or beach house rather than a resort

Places we've thought about include Roatan, Belize, Turks & Cacos,

Where do you like to go and why?:confused: :confused:

Where do you recommend?:rolleyes: :) :confused:

thanks so much!!!

rubber chicken
08-09-2007, 08:22 AM
How about Hawaii ?

lottie
08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
It depends on when you are thinking of going?

Not that I'm being biased or anything for the Caribbean, but it shouldn't take long to travel there.

I live in St Lucia and I know there are direct flights via Air Canada to the international airport here. At the moment the temperature is between 75 & 85F with a slight drizzle of rain (it normally lasts for about 5 minutes, then its bright sunshine again)
Probably not something you'd want to have to put up with while on holiday :)

It's mostly all-inclusive resorts here, but there is Ti Kaye (means little village in the local patois) that might be what you are looking for.

If you're interested - check out their website http://www.tikaye.com/
They have a dive centre on site called Island Divers. I'm not sure what they are like, but I know they are also one of the better ones on the island and other people have recommended them.

As it's supposed to be hurricane season down here until the end of November (peak is August/September). You might be better trying somewhere like Bonaire or Curacao as they are just off the South American coastline and the weather shouldn't be as bad as the leeward/windward isles of the Caribbean.

<edit> If you're looking at your vacation for November/December/January. The Caribbean gets quite hot around those times, hardly any rain. So anywhere in the Caribbean should be okay.

HTH

SayNo2Snow
08-10-2007, 03:01 AM
thanks Lottie

We are looking at traveling late Jan early Feb - when we are sick and tired of cold and snow.

How does scuba diving in St. Lucia compare to say Cozumel.

hey Rubber chicken (I luv that handle:p - even have a tie with a rubber chicken on it, but can't get hubby to wear it..."chicken";) )

We thought about Hawaii - where would you recommend. We initially discarded it because we wanted to experience other cultures, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't re-look at it.

rubber chicken
08-10-2007, 04:15 AM
To be honest, I only did a couple of dives out from Waikiki while i was passing thru. QUite a few pelagics and some awesome turtles but i'm sure that there are others here who know a lot more about the scene there and can give you much better advice.
I only suggested it because it seemed to meet your criteria for distance etc as you don't want to travel too far. it means that you miss out on Australia or the Indonesian "coral triangle" but ho hum!;)

I carry a DSMB, rolled up and stored in a backplate pocket on my wing. When I first got it I had a few difficulties successfully locating it while wearing gloves etc so I found a small rubber chicken in a shop somewhere and hung it from the DSMB strap, much easier to find now. Hence the name.:)

Intrigued by the idea of one on a tie though!

acelockco
08-10-2007, 05:45 AM
When I first got it I had a few difficulties successfully locating it while wearing gloves etc so I found a small rubber chicken in a shop somewhere and hung it from the DSMB strap, much easier to find now. Hence the name.:)

Dude, you are one strange bird.

rubber chicken
08-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Dude, you are one strange bird.

Why thank you sir.:cool:

lottie
08-10-2007, 12:11 PM
SayNo2Snow - I don't know how St Lucia compares to Coz as I've never been to Coz (but I know that its very popular) - I'm sure someone on here has been to Coz and can tell you more.

If you want any more info on St Lucia, let me know - I posted some underwater pics in the Caribbean thread.

allisonfinch
08-21-2007, 02:06 AM
I've dived both Coz and St. Lucia. St. Lucia is recovering from Hurricane Lenny and Coz is recovering from their recent hurricane. All things being equal, I think Coz has the better diving. It's hard to beat the wonderful topography in the deeper dives such as Palancar Caves. St. Lucia is pretty and certainly has a more beautiful Island. The pitons are an awesome sight.

Papa Bear
08-21-2007, 03:18 AM
I agree with Allison about Cozumel, Turks & Caicos is very expensive! You can read about a number of place in our travel section at twotankedproductions.com (http://www.twotankedproductions.com/traveltripinformation.html)
Take a look and if you have any questions feel free to ask!:)

lottie
08-21-2007, 12:52 PM
St. Lucia is recovering from Hurricane Lenny and Coz is recovering from their recent hurricane. .

Allison - it's Hurricane Dean that hit St Lucia not Lenny (think that was a number of years ago).

Do you know if Coz got hit quite badly?