PDA

View Full Version : Silicon rubber

The Publisher
08-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Ok, time for a rant here.

I have noticed a preponderance of people writing the word silicon when referring to the rubbery compound. Now this is not a result of people just mistyping the word, they deliberately spell it that way, so let my meltdown commence.

The term Silicon is an element on the Periodic Elemental Table listed as Si with the atomic number of 14. It is a tetrametalloid and is the 8th most common element based upon mass.

When it comes to pronunciation, the end of the silicon word has what is called a schwa, which is a Hebrew word that essentially means the sound of two vowels combined, or an unstressed or neutral vowel. In the case of silicon, the o at the end of pronounced like a cross between the short sound of an E, an A, and/or a U.

Then there is the rubbery compound called Silicone. Notice the e at the end? Applying the childhood rhyme of "When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking, and the second one is (silent).", the latter syllable is pronounced cone, like ice cream cone.

Rather than typing it out, I'll just copy and paste that: Silicones (more accurately called polymerized siloxanes or polysiloxanes) are mixed inorganic-organic polymers with the chemical formula [R2SiO]n, where R = organic groups such as methyl, ethyl, and phenyl. These materials consist of an inorganic silicon-oxygen backbone (...-Si-O-Si-O-Si-O-...) with organic side groups attached to the silicon atoms, which are four-coordinate. In some cases organic side groups can be used to link two or more of these -Si-O- backbones together. By varying the -Si-O- chain lengths, side groups, and crosslinking, silicones can be synthesized with a wide variety of properties and compositions. They can vary in consistency from liquid to gel to rubber to hard plastic. The most common siloxane is linear polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), a silicone oil. The second largest group of silicone materials is based on silicone resins, which are formed by branched and cage-like oligosiloxanes.

So, we do not use o-rings or elastomeric products in diving made from silicon, we use them made of siliconE.

acelockco
08-08-2007, 08:43 PM
actually, it was just a spelling error.

acelockco
08-08-2007, 08:44 PM
So anyway would that be:

So would be silicone Tits
and silicon chips?

Daddy-h2O
08-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Is this the same rubber to make chickens?

rubber chicken
08-09-2007, 08:31 AM
My chicken is made of the finest, organically grown, vulcanised, Malaysian tree sap!;)

Tigerbeach
08-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Feel better?

acelockco
08-09-2007, 01:50 PM
My chicken is made of the finest, organically grown, vulcanised, Malaysian tree sap!;)

Be careful, I heard those type choke really easily.

lottie
08-09-2007, 03:07 PM
i know humour is a good resolution for virtually everything that we humans do while bumbling through life as we know it.

But the publisher posted up something that - okay, it was a rant - and interesting and informative to boot and you guys lower the tone of the conversation to humour......
Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at anyone and i'm saying this in the good humour that it's meant to be :)

If y'all wanna dis me - go right ahead... :D

amtrosie
08-09-2007, 04:26 PM
If y'all wanna dis me - go right ahead... :D

Nah, I'll not do that. What will escape you is the fact that this is a male thing. Compounded by us men getting older, and older, etc. The older the male species gets, the more prone to rants we get. By the time we hit 80. life is a full blown rant at them "youngsters". It is nothing more than envy given voice.;)

Daddy-h2O
08-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Okay with all due respect to the Publisher I offer my apologies ...

I am sorry Lottie doesn't see the humor in this...

If an Inmate becomes a clown... would that be a silly con

acelockco
08-09-2007, 06:13 PM
No apologies here,

I am always trying to see the humor in things. That is the way I like it, and of couse I am not going to change.

Ace

Lottie, do you think we should be really serious, maybe we should find those post and track those muthers down. Give them the wrath of the SCUBA god???

lottie
08-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I am sorry Lottie doesn't see the humor in this...

I didn't say that at all.

I'll just leave you lot to get on with it :D

Daddy-h2O
08-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I am sorry Lottie, I can't help myself when the medication wears off...

The Publisher
08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Well, it technically isn't a rant of mine, it is just something I find rather curious, but it is more fun calling it a rant...besides, if we titled the forum "Pet Peeves" and the guys posted something like; "I have a peeve and I am getting cross so I need to share" you'd question their orientation. ;)

Daddy-h2O
08-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Well, it technically isn't a rant of mine, it is just something I find rather curious, but it is more fun calling it a rant...besides, if we titled the forum "Pet Peeves" and the guys posted something like; "I have a peeve and I am getting cross so I need to share" you'd question their orientation. ;)

^It's a don't ask don't tell thing. Besides we are not here to judge we are here to ridicule...

lottie
08-10-2007, 01:02 AM
^It's a don't ask don't tell thing. Besides we are not here to judge we are here to ridicule...

Now I know why I had a sense of humour failure (read:PMS!!!), you just wanted to ridicule....ok, ridicule away :)

Daddy-h2O
08-10-2007, 01:10 AM
I don't have any pm's

Tigerbeach
08-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Now I know why I had a sense of humour (TYPO!)failure (read:PMS!!!), you just wanted to ridicule....ok, ridicule away :)

Doesn't PMS stand for Putting up with Men's S@#t?

And face it, man's gift to women is our sense of humor....

Tigerbeach
08-11-2007, 12:44 AM
" you'd question their orientation." ;)

I'm not ornamental...