PDA

View Full Version : Forgetfulness? Perhaps?

lottie
08-05-2007, 11:54 PM
My first certified dive after doing my OW cert, I did a boat dive to the Turtle reef dive site (didn't see any turtles though, but i'm digressing).

The group consisted of 2 DMs and 7 divers. Once we were close to the reef. I noticed that four (yes four!!!) of the divers all had their SPGs dangling away from their BCD. I was quite shocked and surprised at seeing this as I naturally assumed that 1.) they had more experience than me and 2.) should know to secure their hoses and streamline their gear. Let alone let their SPGs drag along the reef.

Anyone else seen anything along these lines that other divers should have done or known about but didn't do??

acelockco
08-06-2007, 12:11 AM
It happens all of the time, especially when divers are on vacation (read drinking). I guess the best thing to do is politely tell them what you saw. Maybe you can say something like "I don't know if you noticed, but your SPG must have come loose because it was dragging in the sand during your dive. ya' might want to take a look at that before the next dive. If you need some help with that, let me know."

acelockco
08-06-2007, 12:12 AM
It could just be that it is rental gear and it is missing a clip or something or they just don't give a f*&k because it is not their stuff.

lottie
08-06-2007, 12:25 AM
It could just be that it is rental gear and it is missing a clip or something or they just don't give a f*&k because it is not their stuff.

I can't remember now whether they had rental stuff or their own gear. But I think you're right, they don't care and just inadvertantly destroy some of the coral and sponges around the reefs

I don't know whether the DMs noticed, but I think next time I'll tell the DM

acelockco
08-06-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't know if taddling is the best way to approach this. I think I would tell the divers first and play it out from there. I am sure if they are guys, they will stop and listen to a cute girl tell them something. Who knows, maybe one of them is cute to you as well ;)

That's what you need Lottie, a scuba boyfriend :)

lottie
08-06-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't know if taddling is the best way to approach this. I think I would tell the divers first and play it out from there. I am sure if they are guys, they will stop and listen to a cute girl tell them something. Who knows, maybe one of them is cute to you as well ;)
"taddling" - never heard that phrase before?! :)
well, if it happens again and they are guys. I'll just make sure i'm wearing my waterproof mascara, so I can flutter my eyelids at them :D

That's what you need Lottie, a scuba boyfriend :)
<deep sigh> Yeah, I know.

The Publisher
08-06-2007, 05:04 AM
I think it comes from tattle tail.....or is that tale as in story....sigh.....

acelockco
08-06-2007, 07:26 AM
I think it comes from tattle tail.....or is that tale as in story....sigh.....

You got it right the first time, it comes from tattle tail. Now I don't know where that came from.......

Quero
08-06-2007, 02:25 PM
You got it right the first time, it comes from tattle tail. Now I don't know where that came from.......

Here's your answer (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070628090320AA8cfND)to that riddle.

BamaCaveDiver
08-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Dive long enough and you will meet boatloads of such bozos. The best thing I have found to do is ask (as politiely as possible of course) if you can offer a bit of critique regarding their diving style (it really does help if you have your own **** together before hand, lest they just laugh at your offer.) Then explain to them why it is a bad practice and how it can be easily corrected. Alerting the DM in a tropical paradise is likely to net you a smile and a thank you, with no action actually taken beyond that point (these are his customers and he relies upon their generosity, i.e. tips, to make his living.) Many of the clowns are as Ace mentioned, using rental gear; others were just never trained correctly in the first place. Setting a good example with your own diving technique can often go a long way towards encouraging them to rethink their own techniques.

Prostar
08-08-2007, 04:04 AM
We were motoring up Rainbow River in Florida when I noticed that the guy next to me had a hose routed oddly. As he was a much more advanced diver than I was, I was a bit shy about pointing it out. Ultimately, I mentioned it and he asked me to fix it. It seems that the person wearing the rig has the worst view if something isn't right.

Speak up. It's ok.