PDA

View Full Version : Spring Straps

acelockco
08-05-2007, 03:35 AM
OK, I found the deal of the year at Leisure Pro. They have a pair of spring straps for $9.95 usd

I have seen similar straps for $65 at my LDS. I thought I would let you all know about this STEAL!! Anyway here is a link to them:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BLREZP.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dspring%2 bstraps%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRe levance%26DescSort%3d0%26Hit%3d1

Anyway, I bought a few pair and tried them out today. I have to say they are amazing. So easy to use, very secure and comfortable. I highly reccomend them! Oh yea no more broken fin straps to deal with right before you are ready to splash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zero
08-05-2007, 04:10 AM
Be careful with that style Ace. If the mount is stainless or anything harder than the plastic on your fin they have a habit of cutting through over time. Put some tape around it and inspect and replace it often or you might be up for a new fin.

Matt

acelockco
08-05-2007, 05:37 AM
Good thinking Zero. I don't feel that it is going to hurt anything, but I will keep my eye on it, that is for sure.

I am looking for an excuse to get new fins anyway. I had to donate my favorite fins to my wife when we got dry suits as we both needed a size larger. I needed fins ASAP, so I just bought the only pair large enough at the LDS. Now that I am stuck with them, I hate them! So would love to get a new pair of turtles or similar.

Zero
08-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Scubapro Jetfins and then get the good spring straps for them.

Matt

acelockco
08-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Jetfins and turtles are just about the same thing.

That is what I had to give up to my wife, so I know how great they really are.

amtrosie
08-06-2007, 02:22 PM
OK, I found the deal of the year at Leisure Pro. They have a pair of spring straps for $9.95 usd

Be Careful!!!! You get what you pay for!!!

I have had spring straps on my jet fins for several years and think they rival sliced bread for ingenuity. Especially with the dry suit, they are wonderful. I would second everything that Zero said.

I have not seen this particular style of strap, but be very cognisant of failure points and areas where they may be plastic as opposed to stainless. Another thing is to look to see if corrosion "pops" up, this could very well be an indication of dissimilar metals, A BIG no-no in manufacturing.

acelockco
08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Dude,

Just go buy the spring straps for $9.95 and trust me.

I have them and am using them, they are great! My wife loves them as well. They are 100% stainless steel, with NO PLASTIC PARTS OR CLIPS! They are all stainless, except for the rubber coating of course.

Anyway, for $10 you can't go wrong. If you really don't like them, they always make a useable pair of backup straps in case of an emergency. At least when you go to use them, they won't be dry rotted.

amtrosie
08-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Dude,

Just go buy the spring straps for $9.95 and trust me.

I have them and am using them, they are great! My wife loves them as well. They are 100% stainless steel, with NO PLASTIC PARTS OR CLIPS! They are all stainless, except for the rubber coating of course.

Anyway, for $10 you can't go wrong. If you really don't like them, they always make a useable pair of backup straps in case of an emergency. At least when you go to use them, they won't be dry rotted.

READ MY WHOLE POST!! :rolleyes: I have them all ready! Why buy what I have had for a while? This particular style raises some questions.

acelockco
08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Wow, a brick wall.

OK, well everyone besides amtrosie take a look at these spring straps. I have them and feel like they are very well made and an excellent deal.

littleleemur
02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
These straps are no longer 9.99 :(

However, I was wondeirng what I should be looking for/be aware of in spring straps?

Thanks.

acelockco
02-05-2008, 09:59 PM
That stinks because it was a really good deal and I still am very happy with the 4 sets I purchased.

As far as what to look for, most of them are just about the same really. Make sure you get the ones that have the proper mount for your fins. There are two common types.

Some of them feature quick release buckles, but I personally don't like that style because not only do you not need quick release with spring straps, but one of the ideas behind the spring strap is its durability. I only see the plastic quick release as a breaking point.