08-02-2007, 10:18 PM
what are your views about V-weights?
good? bad? how so?
http://www.the-inner-space.com/pix/goodies/vweight/vweight_d7.jpg
and
http://www.the-inner-space.com/pix/goodies/vweight/vweight_standard.jpg
and
http://www.the-inner-space.com/pix/goodies/vweight/vweight_mini.jpg

V-Weights are Bars of lead that fit behind our BP between our twins, they come to replace the standard weight-belts and pocket weight pouches.

acelockco
08-02-2007, 10:42 PM
What is it?

Diverdaniel
08-02-2007, 10:55 PM
edited the above :)

The Publisher
08-02-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't follow the current schools of thought, other than on CCR's, but I recall the days when I was 13 years old and I was the only one with a power inflator on my horse collar BC, every else had oral inflators so I was the cock of the walk.

So back in the thrilling days of yesteryear, the prevailing concept was the ability to ditch weights FAST. I just got rid of my 8lb SS backplate and am going back to adding 8lbs split between my existing 8 lbs of ditchable weights when diving dry.

The back mounted Inspiration rebreather's BC does not hold one's head very high out of the water.

acelockco
08-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Well, it looks like a great way to get some of the weight in a more managable place. It is also a very ballanced position, right down the spine.

I suppose they would be great, is there a way to ditch them, or is it just a suplimental weight to be used along with other weights that can be released?

I tried using some tank weights, thinking they would be good, but all it did was make me feel unballanced in the water, so I removed them and added the weight back to my bc.

Diverdaniel
08-03-2007, 03:59 AM
they are nit "ditchable", i think tha main reason is to get as much weight as possible off our waist, although i would think one would never want to get rid of weights on a deco dive.
also, provide a more ballanced center of ballance maybe?
what are tank weights?

acelockco
08-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Similar to V-weights, but they are used for single cylinders. There is one type that is like a tank boot with a weight in it. Another type comes with a strap to attach to your cylinder.

Diverdaniel
08-03-2007, 11:39 AM
got a pic of one of those?

amtrosie
08-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Similar to V-weights, but they are used for single cylinders. There is one type that is like a tank boot with a weight in it. Another type comes with a strap to attach to your cylinder.

The STA's (Single Tank Adaptor) that is used for those folks who have a BP/W can have weights attached to the Adaptor. The adaptor is a "U" channel aluminium piece that usually has the weight bar (flat) secured inside using the attach points for the Back Plate.

The "V" weights are placed on the tank bands (of doubles), through the bolts that attach the PB to the doubles rig. The "V" weights are of different weights. The correct weight used is determined by the weight required to become neutrally buoyant at the surface with less than 500 psi. (34.5 bar.) in your tanks. That way should you have to swim to the surface, the diver can still do this with relative ease.

What is my view of "V" weights? I use them when my I use double AL. 80's with my drysuit. They are a nice innovation to this sport.

acelockco
08-03-2007, 09:44 PM
I suppose with all of the extra buyoancy you get out of two near empty AL80's you would need a lot of extra weight.

Diverdaniel
08-04-2007, 08:48 AM
I have just started using a V-weight, it feels great, only thing is that the center of ballance changes and once you tilt to one side, the Vweight has a tendancy to turn you on your back, thats the only difference i have found. the weight is behind you and not at your sides and not pulling your head up and torso down, much better trim in my eyes since most of the dive you have to be horizontal. i find i am much more stable horizontally when working and taking pics u/w and that is important when it comes to working over corals.
i like them

acelockco
08-04-2007, 04:13 PM
That's awesome, only you can really decide what works best for you. Like I said I tried tank weights myself and had almost exactly the same results as you did, however I hated the fact that I would get turned onto my back so easily. It made me feel really uncomfortable.

Funny though, because I always thought I would hate ankle weights. I thought that they would be uncomfortable and heavy and such. Well I tired a pair and now I am hooked. It is like my feet are always exactly where I want them and I don't notice they are even on unless I look(the weights not my feet).

Isn't it such a great feeling when you get some gear or skill down to just the way you like it! Then you know it is time to move on to the next skill or new gear. And that's what diving is all about!

amtrosie
08-05-2007, 02:53 AM
I suppose with all of the extra buyoancy you get out of two near empty AL80's you would need a lot of extra weight.

Actually when I dive "wet" I do not use the "V" weight. It is only when I am my dry suit, diving AL doubles that I need a few lbs. The "V" weights are for a double tank set up, hence the attaching them on the bands, between the tanks. There is NO movement at all!! These weights can be custom made for any weight, but can be purchased in 8, 11, 15 lbs. "V's". The whole point of these weights is for the diver to be diving a balanced rig.

acelockco
08-05-2007, 03:31 AM
I know how they work and what they are used for.

I just was not aware of their name.

Funny, but I actually need about the same amount of weight when diving dry as I do when I am wearing a THICK wetsuit 7mm farmer john with a 7 mm top.

Diverdaniel
08-05-2007, 05:27 AM
it all depends on the thinsulate you use, how think it is deternims the ammount of air in your drysuit.
at the moment, i am diving wet, no need for dry suit in 40C+ summers.
winter, on the other hand......

acelockco
08-05-2007, 05:40 AM
I was diving today dry, and I was actually hot during the dive. I don't need a dry suit now because the water is plenty warm, it is just more comfortable than a wetsuit for me.

I think tomorrow I am going to leave the polar fleece at home and just use a thin pair of sweat pants and a thin sweat shirt. I think I will be much more comfortable.

Diverdaniel
08-05-2007, 07:55 AM
should be enough if the water is in the high 20's C

acelockco
08-05-2007, 11:15 PM
It is about 12 C or so on the the bottom and about 25 C on the surface. The problem is the air temp is about 37 C, so by the time you get geared up, even though you are wearing a dry suit, you are soaking wet.

seasnake
08-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I add a v-weight when I dive doubles, not so much for bouyancy but for trim. I found the double steel tanks were always pitching me head first. A few pounds near the bottom of the tanks trimmed me right out and I felt much better.

BamaCaveDiver
08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I add a v-weight when I dive doubles, not so much for bouyancy but for trim. I found the double steel tanks were always pitching me head first. A few pounds near the bottom of the tanks trimmed me right out and I felt much better.

Were you not able to slide your cylinders down or your wing up to adjust your trim? You might also try a few different wings to find one that works for you. The DR classic has long been regarded as a great doubles wing, but the design (short with a wide bottom) made it impossible for me to get trimmed out. I went with a longer, skinnier wing and solved the problem. I just hate the idea of adding non-ditchable weight to cure a trim issue.

amtrosie
08-06-2007, 08:48 PM

I had the same problem, I went to steel 119's, problem solved! I refused to add weight for trim issues. It just messes with your buoyancy control, especially at the shallower depths (on deco.) Try repositioning the bands right to the crown of the tank. The thought that BamaCaveDiver had about the wing is a good one.

BamaCaveDiver
08-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Believe it or not I used to use a DR Superwing with twin 85's. Not because I needed that 70+ lbs of lift that the wing offered, but rather because it was designed as long tubes that trimmed out so much easier than the Classic wing I started off with (that one would stand me on my head regardless of how it or the cylinders were positioned.) With the Super wing, I just cinched the gussets down to streamline it as much as possible until I noticed that Oxycheq made a wing that was exactly what I needed.

Diverdaniel
08-08-2007, 09:56 AM
unfortunately I made the mistake of getting myself talked in to buying a Superwings Bladder, back then, i didnt know much about decompression diving and doubles.
dont have the cash right now for a new smaller wing.
do Use my fiance's Classicwing mostly when she isnt diving, she hardly does these days unfortunately.
hrmm mybe this week we might get a deep dive done......... getting off the subject here, sorry.
I have tried the DR RecWing and DualRec, find them very comfortable.
only thing is the bungie's, good thing they are on the inside.

acelockco
08-08-2007, 02:04 PM
I also have a Super Wing and feel the same way, but it is on ebay as we speak so I can get a smaller wing too. About the bungie's...well I know they are on the inside on purpose. That way they don't get hung up on anything.

seasnake
08-21-2007, 03:43 AM
My bands are as high up on the tanks as possible, for sure. I don't think the few pounds of unditchable weight I added for trim will have an affect on whether I can ascend or not. But they made a 1000% difference in my trim and comfort!