PDA

View Full Version : Going Solo?

Tigerbeach
07-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Hey, we could have fun with this one!

Has anyone dove alone?

Does anyone want to, but their Mommy won't let 'em?

Does any Agency offer a solo diving class?

Is anyone opposed to diving alone? Why is that?

Has anyone dove alone, and regretted it?

Is anyone want to learn more about it?

This is one subject I haven't seen yet; one that people can be very passionate about.

The Publisher
07-31-2007, 05:28 AM
I dove solo for most of 30 years, but for closed circuit I won't dive solo.

The very few times I have done open circuit local, it was mainly to hang our with girl and guy friends. Other times it was for lobster season where I wanted to increase my chances by 50%, lol.

hbh2oguard
07-31-2007, 06:17 AM
I have dove solo but almost always have a buddy since I finally found one that uses air at a simular rate and we both have the same objectives during a dive.

kirwoodd
07-31-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't solo dive because I have a good dive buddy and don't need to dive solo. BUT, if I didn't have a good dive buddy, I would find one. In fact, I posted to a dive forum to find my buddy because I needed one.

My problem with solo diving is that I only have 27 dives and I just dont feel that I have the experience or the equipment to dive solo.

BamaCaveDiver
07-31-2007, 01:22 PM
I actually prefer solo diving, for a variety of reasons. Tight silty passages, especially when you are going into unchartered (read virgin cave) realms can make that buddy a liability more than an asset. Even on those simple dives in wide open passages, on the rare occassion that I go in with another diver, it is usually two solo divers sharing the same space during the same time interval. It is definitely not for everyone, but then that is what makes this world such an exciting place to live.

acelockco
07-31-2007, 01:55 PM

Has anyone dove alone?

Does any Agency offer a solo diving class?

This is one subject I haven't seen yet; one that people can be very passionate about.

I don't dive alone because I always have someone to dive with, but I would dive alone in the proper conditions and place.

My mommy will let me dive alone, but my wife will not.

There is a Solo Diver course, I think TDI offers it.

I am opposed to someone diving alone, because they could always call me and I will dive with them. Just kidding, I am 100% for diving alone.

I am sure some have diven (is that a word?) alone and regreted it, but I don't know if they lived to tell thet tale. LOL

I am all for learning more and would love to take the TDI class.

Now, many times around here, we splash with our buddy (that way we have a buddy), but by the time we get to the bottom of the anchor line, we head off in different directions and SOMETIMES come up together. But I think that is the east coast wreck divers way of doing things.

kirwoodd
07-31-2007, 02:02 PM
acelockco, I am just going to follow you around the forums and disagree with you.
:D

Naah, I agree with you on this one.
When I dive with a buddy, we are basically diving alone, I think that BamaCaveDiver said it the best. BUT, I do like having my buddy in visual range, which around here is pretty dam close. If I have an emergency I want to handle it myself, but if I can't, my buddy is there. Also, I happen to have a real good dive buddy, so that helps a lot. If I had a shoddy dive buddy then I might feel different.

The other thing, which is less about safety and more about the social aspect, is that when we surface I can say "WOW! Did you see that <some really cool thing here>!?!?!!" I am a social critter I guess.
:rolleyes:

p.s. I am not allowed to dive alone either. In fact, it took some convincing to allow me to dive without a float/flag (I boat dive)

amtrosie
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM

Has anyone dove alone?

Welllllllll....yes I have done a "few" solo dives over the years. In retrospect, I was fortunate not to have any "major" issues while "soloing". In certain situations, as BamaCaveDiver has pointed out, solo is the way to do it. Diving side mount lends itself to solo diving. I personally would not do it in a confined space situation, too many things can get into a pickle and not get you out. I have done close to 50 cave dives solo, and looking back, I would not do it again.

As for my mommy, what she doesn't know, won't kill me. As for the wife (ex), well, that is totally different ball of wax!

lottie
07-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Has anyone dove alone?

I haven't dove solo/alone. But I will have the opportunity to do it when I go out to St Maarten in September - they are shore dives and I dont' know how deep (found it - 30ft) or whether the LDS have any restrictions or guidelines, but diving without a DM/instructor will be another experience under the weight belt :D

As for my mom - i doubt she'd mind (what she doesn't know won't hurt her) and anyway, as she used to dive through BSAC about 30 years ago, i'm sure she'd be all for it

acelockco
07-31-2007, 06:51 PM
I haven't dove solo/alone. But I will have the opportunity to do it when I go out to St Maarten in September - they are shore dives and I dont' know how deep (found it - 30ft) or whether the LDS have any restrictions or guidelines, but diving without a DM/instructor will be another experience under the weight belt :D

Lottie, what we are talking about is not diving without a DM/instructor, but alone like by yourself, no one else in the water with you at all.

lottie
08-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Lottie, what we are talking about is not diving without a DM/instructor, but alone like by yourself, no one else in the water with you at all.

Yeah - thats what I'm talking about - I'll have the opportunity to dive solo (i.e. not with a DM/Instructor) when I'm in St Maarten....

Okay - scrap that...I'm in another world. My brain isn't functioning properly (think I need a new one :))

Tigerbeach
08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Okay - scrap that...I'm in another world. My brain isn't functioning properly (think I need a new one :))

Why? Alzheimer's?

lottie
08-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Why? Alzheimer's?

nah..CRAFT* syndrome. You can get the symptoms at any age. There were some clinical trials performed a number of years ago, and it was found out that it can affect men and women equally from 18 years upwards and it wasn't heriditary either :D

* CRAFT = Can't Remember A F&%$£&&&%$ Thing

acelockco
08-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Well with CRAFT you really should not be diving at all, especially not alone!

lottie
08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Well with CRAFT you really should not be diving at all, especially not alone!

Well it's probably a good thing I haven't been diving for the past 6 weeks then...or maybe thats why my CRAFT has come back....... :D

acelockco
08-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Well it's probably a good thing I haven't been diving for the past 6 weeks then...or maybe thats why my CRAFT has come back....... :D

Or maybe you are spending too much time in that Hippy Van

phrenicnerve
08-02-2007, 02:00 AM
This is supposed to be a big no no eh? I usually would rather do most things alone but I haven't seriously entertained the idea of going diving alone. Honestly I want to. In fact I would LOVE to do this, but it just isn't smart. Something happens where a buddy could have helped and you just screwed yourself. And nobody knows! Otherwise, I would be out diving by myself on a regular basis. Seriously a cool solo endeavor. Shouldn't do it though.

How many of you are diving solo on a regular basis?

Off the subject:

Are there waterproof tracking devices that say, a diver could use in case he/she gets blown out to sea on a strong current? I started wondering about this when I heard about divers that have been blown off Farnsworth Bank. Something like this could save divers that have been left by dive boats too.

Also anyone know what happened to the shark repellant ankle bracelet that was being developed? It was mainly for surfers but also would have obvious dive applications. Just curious...I was watching something somewhere recently (CRAFT) about a diver that had been hit by the bends a second time because he was not able to stay at depth during deco due to sharks.

What about that dive footage coming from the Discovery HD 1080 Club trailor for their upcoming show?! :eek:

I guess you really got your nerves in check when you are willing to face off with a great white without a cage. Anyone know any of the divers that won the trip to go film? I put in my entry everyday, but no bones. :mad: The footage on that trailor is unbelievable.

;)

acelockco
08-02-2007, 03:51 AM
This is supposed to be a big no no eh? I usually would rather do most things alone but I haven't seriously entertained the idea of going diving alone. Honestly I want to. In fact I would LOVE to do this, but it just isn't smart. Something happens where a buddy could have helped and you just screwed yourself. And nobody knows! Otherwise, I would be out diving by myself on a regular basis. Seriously a cool solo endeavor. Shouldn't do it though.

I beg to differ. I am not going to get into it right now, but do a little research and you will see that solo diving can be just as safe and in some cases safer than diving with someone. I am not saying all diving should be done solo and it may not be for everyone, but it can be done and very safely.

Mountain Dog
08-02-2007, 11:58 PM
I have never gone diving alone. But that's because LadyDog (my wife) is my dive buddy, and if I went diving without her I would be in more trouble after the dive than I could ever get into during the dive.:D

Mountain Dog

acelockco
08-03-2007, 12:30 AM
I have never gone diving alone. But that's because LadyDog (my wife) is my dive buddy, and if I went diving without her I would be in more trouble after the dive than I could ever get into during the dive.:D

Mountain Dog

I have a similar situation, but I just decided that the guilt trip is worth it. My wife works many more hours than I do, so I have more time to dive. I know she gets a little unhappy about it, but I worked very hard so I don't have to work hard now.

allisonfinch
08-04-2007, 11:19 PM
I dive solo all the time. Do I prefer it? Well, yes and no. Yes because I can set my own pace while photographing, I don't have to worry about poor diving ruining my pics, I can usually find my way back to origin without any problems. No, because when you see something REALLY special, you have no one to share it with. It can get lonely.

I don't worry about trouble because I trust my diving skills and my equipment. And, if doo doo happens, I can't hurt anyone but myself.

Bubble Maker
08-05-2007, 01:19 AM
But its only in the local lakes and quarries because I dont have a dive buddy around here. But the ocean is a different ballgame...no solo there..

I Like This

I don't worry about trouble because I trust my diving skills and my equipment. And, if doo doo happens, I can't hurt anyone but myself.

BM

seasnake
08-06-2007, 04:34 PM
It has been my contention for a long time that everyone dives solo, whether they want to admit it or not. There are those who seek it on purpose for various reasons, but for many of us, if we are in the water with a buddy who does not have the skills to assist us in an emergency, than for all intents and purposes (or is that porpoises?), we are solo. For example: an instructor with new students, a DM with tourists who only dive once a year, separated from your buddy because of low viz, inattention, or because your buddy is a jerk and took off . . . lol. What about diving where the viz is 100' and you get 80' away from your buddy? Are they going to be able to help you out immediately in an emergency? If not than you are solo.
TDI does have a solo course (and they are still the only ones as far as I know), but what I would love to see is a course called "Underwater Self Sufficiency" or similar. Here are the skills to look after yourself underwater. Now if you get separated from your buddy inadvertantly, there is no need to panic. You have the skills and confidence to keep you as safe as can be expected until you find your buddy again. PLUS, I think it would make everyone a better buddy, because you are no longer a liability to the people you dive with, but a contributing member of the team.
Is diving solo dangerous? Of course! But so is diving in general. So is driving a car. We all have to decide what level of risk we are willing to accept and then try to prepare ourselves accordingly and conduct ourselves as safe as we can. If you don't want any risk, stay in bed! And hope a plane doesn't fall on you!

phrenicnerve
08-07-2007, 02:11 AM
Interesting. I am and already was tempted to go about this love for the ocean by myself as I have no dedicated dive buddy. Wasn't going to allow myself to do it though. If I went to my local dive shop and they knew I was going to go alone, I doubt they would even fill a tank for me! But then again I don't know for sure, they might just say "right on!" - NOT. Booking a dive boat without a buddy and being paired with someone I don't know is sketchy too. I have seen many divers in the water within just a few dives to know that some are real clumsy and not at all aware of whats going on around them. Their the ones that will be first to kick you in the face and test your skills when you don't want to be tested. But then again I am no professional diver either so someone else who has years under their belt would probably choose to dive with someone else. For me I want to make sure that what ever it is I end up doing with diving, I go about it slowly. I don't like the way I was rushed through an AOW certification. Your get the cert when you really haven't done **** yet to prove your worth it.

kirwoodd
08-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Interesting. I am and already was tempted to go about this love for the ocean by myself as I have no dedicated dive buddy. Wasn't going to allow myself to do it though. If I went to my local dive shop and they knew I was going to go alone, I doubt they would even fill a tank for me! But then again I don't know for sure, they might just say "right on!" - NOT. Booking a dive boat without a buddy and being paired with someone I don't know is sketchy too. I have seen many divers in the water within just a few dives to know that some are real clumsy and not at all aware of whats going on around them. Their the ones that will be first to kick you in the face and test your skills when you don't want to be tested. But then again I am no professional diver either so someone else who has years under their belt would probably choose to dive with someone else. For me I want to make sure that what ever it is I end up doing with diving, I go about it slowly. I don't like the way I was rushed through an AOW certification. Your get the cert when you really haven't done **** yet to prove your worth it.

Welp,
I would suggest that you go to the regional forum that covers your area and post that you are looking for a dive buddy/group. Thats what I did (differant forum sorry, :) ) and I found a great bunch of guys to dive with.

Phlocker
08-07-2007, 04:38 AM
I'm sure someone on the dive boat would love to pair up with Lottie. What do you think? Yes, No, Maybe.:)

acelockco
08-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm sure someone on the dive boat would love to pair up with Lottie. What do you think? Yes, No, Maybe.:)

What does that have to do with anything?

kirwoodd
08-07-2007, 02:14 PM

I had about 3 replies to this as well, but they are all very acidic, thanks for taking the high road acelockco. ;)

I guess when you are 17 you say things like that.
<shrug>

lottie
08-07-2007, 02:32 PM

I was just wondering the same thing myself.....

Care to elaborate Phlocker???

Quero
08-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Seasnake and AllisonFinch both said a lot of things that resonate with my own situation. Photographers and instructors often dive essentially on their own. When I'm working, I feel like I am diving solo, at least in terms of emergency support, even though there are other people around. For example, can I expect my DSD folks to "be there" for me if I have a problem? When I'm diving for my own pleasure, I'm usually taking pictures, so even if I splash in with a buddy, it doesn't take long before we are separated doing our own thing and become "same ocean" buddies.

SDI (the rec division of TDI) does have a "Solo diver" cert, and PSA has one they call "Self-sufficiency diver." I haven't seen the PSA curriculum, but the focus of the SDI course is to create self-sufficiency with an emphasis on self-rescue and redundancy. Most dive ops (at least the ones I've had dealings with) are pretty careful about permitting solo dives under their care, so proof of training can come in handy. If you are clearly an experienced diver (especially a photographer) or a dive pro, they usually don't give you much hassle when it comes to solo recreational diving as long as you check in and out and set up surface support of some sort.

amtrosie
08-07-2007, 03:59 PM
I was just wondering the same thing myself.....

Care to elaborate Phlocker???

I wouldn't even pay attention to such a juvenile comment!! And I certainly would not elicit any further comment.

As for the subject at hand, I have been on many dive boats by myself. As several others have mentioned, you will be paired with an individual with whom you will not be familiar. It is very true that in that situation, you will be self-reliant. It is usually with a certain amount of reluctance that I approach this situation. For the boat, an apparent single, experienced diver (the gear is the first clue, and the way one sets up ones gear is another) is a fortuitous happenstance. They WILL pair you up with the most inexperienced diver on the boat. This keeps the inexperienced diver in the close observation of the more experienced diver, all the while limiting the bottom time of that experienced diver. This is all good for the dive operator. I have many stories along these lines.

My approach to these dives is/was to #1. Do a thorough dive brief. #2. Dive at the pace of the other diver. #3. Be very vigilant of the other diver. #4. Do very simple dives, with no penetration, if on a wreck. Limit the dive depth. #5. One of the things I would emphasise would be the establishment and the maintaining of buoyancy control. This single skill will tell you more about the comfort level and ability of a diver, more so than any logbook or tall-tale they may tell. This does really limit me as a diver, but the option is not to dive at all. What kind of choice is this?

So, do I still solo dive? On occasion. It is not something I actively pursue, but it does occur, and to be unprepared is to be placing one's name on the "has been" list.

BamaCaveDiver
08-07-2007, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't even pay attention to such a juvenile comment!! And I certainly would not elicit any further comment.

I totally agree.

...to be unprepared is to be placing one's name on the "has been" list.

I think that last line of your's really says it all.

Tigerbeach
08-08-2007, 05:53 AM
I used to dive solo every chance I got; which wasn't often with my teaching schedule.
It was my reward for what I did for others.
When on dive boats for fun, I would usually show my advanced card so as to be left alone... some of my buddy's would flash their Instructor cards to be cool, and then be asked to give lectures, review dive tables, and all sorts or crap...

acelockco
08-08-2007, 02:02 PM
some of my buddy's would flash their Instructor cards to be cool, and then be asked to give lectures, review dive tables, and all sorts or crap...

To which my response would be "Please make the check payable to..."

Remember that the DM, the crew, and anyone else working with that operation are getting paid. If you are asked to teach or something like that, then shouldn't you get paid as well?

Tigerbeach
08-08-2007, 07:03 PM
In theory, yes.
That's the price you pay sometimes for being at the top of the food chain;

Sorta like "Is there a doctor in the house?..."

acelockco
08-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Just as the Dr. would say " I can't make a proper diagnosis here." Then he would hand you his/her card and say "What type of insurance do you have" and then would say "Call my secretary and make an appointment"

seasnake
08-21-2007, 03:39 AM
yes, the other thing that comes out of my attitude toward solo diving is people think I won't dive with inexperienced divers, which is not the case. How else do people get more experience safely. I just realize in those situations I have to adjust the dive plan and be prepared to look after myself.

BamaCaveDiver
08-21-2007, 02:58 PM
yes, the other thing that comes out of my attitude toward solo diving is people think I won't dive with inexperienced divers, which is not the case. How else do people get more experience safely. I just realize in those situations I have to adjust the dive plan and be prepared to look after myself.

I actually prefer the inexperienced over those with a pocket full of cards who think they know everything.

Papa Bear
08-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Unless you are instructing! Never give that card at a resort or boat or as I hope you know you become responsible for every Nimrod on the boat or at the resort! Thanks to the lawyers! It is better to just be "That diver" than that nasty instructor who know there was going to be a problem but didn't stop me before I did something really stupid while the instructor was underwater 300 yards away! LOL, but true:(