PDA

View Full Version : New Member Introduction

kirwoodd
07-27-2007, 01:36 PM
This summer starts my second season of diving, I currently have 27 dives in my log. I have never been on a dive vacation, so all of my diving has been in cold water. :rolleyes: But I am cool with that, I am from Minnesota and the cold doesn't really bother me. :D

I have pretty basic kit, nothing fancy. I am thinking of going to a bp/w setup, but for no good reason. My son is getting his cert this fall and I was thinking that my gear only has 27 dives on it, its still new! I can give it to my son and buy new, so I was thinking of a bp/w just for something new.

I have been on two shore dives, they were my checkout dives, since then I have only dove (is that a word?) off of my boat. We usually dive every weekend at least one day. If you dive in the greater Boston area and you want to boat dive with us, you can check out my homepage, we are always looking for new dive buddies.

acelockco
07-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Again welcome aboard. Always glad to see new members!

I am also a cold water diver and LOVE it! I can't deal with the heat of the warmer places. I am in Eastern Pa, so I may take you up on your offer sometime.

As far as the backplate and wing, there are a few other options to look at. You do have the metal and even plastic back plates with wings. There are also harnesses like the Dive Rite Trans Pac, and the OMS IQ pack. They work with the same wings as the back plates, but are more comfortable and modern. Another option is a rear inflation style BC, like the Zeagle Ranger. It is essentially a wing and pack together in one unit. All have their pros and cons, but something to think about. You also have to take into serious consideration the type and number of cylinders you will be diving with. (single alum. 80's, steel singles, doubles, side mount, rebreather, etc)

Ace

Sarah
07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Welcome Kirwood!

kirwoodd
07-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys!
Yeah, I am looking at the backpacks as well. My goal is ultimate flexability. For example, it looks like a bp/w could accomodate doubles if I decide to go that route.

Sarah
07-27-2007, 03:40 PM
There's a steel 148 cubic foot tank by Faber out now. Someone posted about it here.

kirwoodd
07-27-2007, 03:43 PM
There's a steel 148 cubic foot tank by Faber out now. Someone posted about it here.

I am 6'-4" tall and I am ok with my current tanks, steel hp 120's.
148's?!?!?!
Yeah, no thanks. I gotta believe that they would be WAY to much to manhandle on the surface. Which kind of flies in the face of the whole "I might go doubles some day" thing. :D

fooddude
07-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Welcome. Glad to hear you dive in cold water like I do (Long Island, NY). I will definately take you up on your offer to come dive in Boston. Thanks.

Once again, welcome.

acelockco
07-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys!
Yeah, I am looking at the backpacks as well. My goal is ultimate flexability. For example, it looks like a bp/w could accomodate doubles if I decide to go that route.

The pack is just as flexable as the bp/w is. It just substitutes the pack for the plate. You can dive any wing with them and of course you can dive singles, doubles and even side mount. The only difference is comfort and of course cost.

Zero
07-28-2007, 10:02 AM
G'day and welcome aboard

Matt