PDA

View Full Version : Who's diving where this weekend?

lottie
07-27-2007, 12:02 AM
This cold turkey is starting to get on my nerves :(

Anyway, just interested to hear whether anyone out there is diving this weekend and where...........???

dalehall
07-27-2007, 12:47 AM
We are booked to dive the "Oriskany" this weekend.. Headed to Florida tomorrow morning and diving the "Mighty O" Saturday morning. Hoping to get in a couple Pensacola Night dives Saturday night and then dropping by Morrison Springs on the way home to dive and rinse the gear off. Should be a great weekend!!!

acelockco
07-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Can't wait to hear the dive report. I just booked some tix to florida. I am planning on diving West Palm Beach and then head to the Keys to see some of those huge wrecks.

HAVE A GREAT AND SAFE TRIP!!!!

I am diving at the quarry this weekend, better than no diving at all.

Phlocker
07-27-2007, 03:55 AM
Hey dale. ask some of the operators what the diving conditions are in January.
A group of us like to go down to Fla in Jan to dive but last time when we were in Key Largo they were having what they call the 40 days of wind. And it usally came in from the east making some real miserable diving conditions!
We ended up just going to the spring this year.

hbh2oguard
07-27-2007, 04:31 AM
Taking the boat out and doing a few dives along the coast just south of Los Angeles.

allisonfinch
07-27-2007, 04:36 AM
I won't be getting wet until Aug 11th (I hope). Cape Fear Divers in NC are pretty sure there is space on the boat for me. It will be for a three tank dive. Two dives on the Meg Ledge, a place where many large fossil megladon shark teeth can be found. Then a dive on one of the many local wrecks.

I need to get on this dive to put my new camera through its paces before my Belize trip.

rubber chicken
07-27-2007, 04:41 AM
I am helping out on an OW course on Saturday in the Swan river. Saturday, I am working as rescue crew for a Whitewater Kayaking event. Winter weather has reduced me to only about 5 dives in the last 6 weeks.:(

Zero
07-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Did a dive in Sydney Harbour on friday night for the first time in nearly 2 months. Doing another one tomorrow morning somewhere if i can drag my ass out of bed.

Matt

dalehall
07-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Can't wait to hear the dive report. I just booked some tix to florida. I am planning on diving West Palm Beach and then head to the Keys to see some of those huge wrecks.

HAVE A GREAT AND SAFE TRIP!!!!

I am diving at the quarry this weekend, better than no diving at all.

Thanks all...

I just posted my Dive Report in this forum, new thread... :D

phlocker, I didn't see your request until tonight.. Sorry, didn't get to ask about January.. But, MBT Divers (www.mbtdivers.com) can answer any of your questions.. Those guys (and gals) are great..:cool:

amtrosie
07-31-2007, 04:05 PM

Ace,

Palm Beach has some wrecks, but Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area has a lot of nice wrecks. I usually drive there to hit those wrecks. They then drop you on the reef for a nice drift dive, if you are into that. The Keys wrecks are all right, but a ton of novice divers on these deeper wrecks (Spiegal Grove, Duanne, Bibb, etc.) are really starting to create their own problems, and there are some rumblings about "tightening" up the over sight at these sights.

Did several dives (6) in the caves in North Fl. this weekend. There are some nice dives for the open water types up there. Swimming with the manatees are supposed to be a nice diversion.

lars2923
07-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Ace,

Palm Beach has some wrecks, but Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area has a lot of nice wrecks. I usually drive there to hit those wrecks. They then drop you on the reef for a nice drift dive, if you are into that. The Keys wrecks are all right, but a ton of novice divers on these deeper wrecks (Spiegal Grove, Duanne, Bibb, etc.) are really starting to create their own problems, and there are some rumblings about "tightening" up the over sight at these sights.

Did several dives (6) in the caves in North Fl. this weekend. There are some nice dives for the open water types up there. Swimming with the manatees are supposed to be a nice diversion.
> Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area has a lot of nice wrecks. I usually
> drive there to hit those wrecks. They then drop you on the reef for a nice
> drift dive
Which site in Pompano do you favor, both wreck and drifts?
> Did several dives (6) in the caves in North Fl. this weekend
Which sites did you visit? Which was your favorite and why?

Tanks mon..
Lars

acelockco
07-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Ace,
Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area has a lot of nice wrecks. I usually drive there to hit those wrecks. They then drop you on the reef for a nice drift dive, if you are into that. The Keys wrecks are all right, but a ton of novice divers on these deeper wrecks (Spiegal Grove, Duanne, Bibb, etc.) are really starting to create their own problems, and there are some rumblings about "tightening" up the over sight at these sights.

Let me know all you can about the wrecks. The problem with most of the Keys wrecks are that most of them are sunk to create artificial reefs. I am not too into that type of wreck. I am looking for "real wrecks" as my definition of WRECK is just that. I personally feel artificial reefs like Spiegal, Duanne & Bibb are kinda lame and there is nothing for a treasure hunter like myself to find usually. I would rather spend my dive digging though a silt pile in the galley of an old ship looking for dishes or with my maul and chisel taking off a port hole or something like that. It seems like that type of diving does not seem too fun to many and MOST of the charter operations want to take cattle boats to Spiegal and such.

I am doing some research on finding a boat that will bring me to the good stuff. Let me know if you know anything and I will post my findings when I know more.

amtrosie
08-01-2007, 12:35 AM
> Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area has a lot of nice wrecks. I usually
> drive there to hit those wrecks. They then drop you on the reef for a nice
> drift dive
Which site in Pompano do you favor, both wreck and drifts?
> Did several dives (6) in the caves in North Fl. this weekend
Which sites did you visit? Which was your favorite and why?

Tanks mon..
Lars

I am usually hitting the deeper wrecks, so I'll not discuss them here. The medium Tenneco Towers off of Lauderdale, are a good one. The RSB-1 and the "Capt. Dan" are also decent wrecks.

I will say about the caves before I discuss them. CAVE DIVING IS TO NEVER, NEVER, NEVER TO BE DONE WITHOUT PROPER TRAINING!!!!

As for the caves, my favorite is Little River. There are some personal reasons for this. What is not, are the majestic limestone formations found through out the system. Some of the side passages are well worth the time spent exploring them. The geology is fasinating, once one starts to realize what it is that one is looking at.

acelockco
08-01-2007, 03:10 AM
I am usually hitting the deeper wrecks, so I'll not discuss them here.

???

There are others that can go deep man. I know I could go deep much easier than I could go in a cave. So spill the beans on the wrecks.

lars2923
08-01-2007, 04:41 AM
I've heard of the Tenneco Towers, never dove it. I've never heard of The RSB-1 and the "Capt. Dan". I'll have to do some reading on those.. Thanx

amtrosie
08-01-2007, 02:40 PM
???

There are others that can go deep man. I know I could go deep much easier than I could go in a cave. So spill the beans on the wrecks.

NO!!!! on the deep stuff.

Most wrecks down here are part of the artificial reef program.

acelockco
08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
NO!!!! on the deep stuff.

Most wrecks down here are part of the artificial reef program.

Watever, it is not hidden info, so if I need it, I will find it. What is your reason for being here if you can't share. Anyway, yes, that is the major problem down there it is almost all artificial. I know the real stuff is there, I just have to find someone that will take me to the good spots not the BS spots. Maybe like you they don't want to share.

amtrosie
08-01-2007, 10:28 PM
I know the real stuff is there, I just have to find someone that will take me to the good spots not the BS spots. Maybe like you they don't want to share.

:D :D :D :p :p :D :D