PDA

View Full Version : JBL Pole Spear, new toy

acelockco
07-23-2007, 06:40 PM
I just picked up a JBL 7 foot pole spear with a paralyzer tip this weekend at the dive shop before I went out on a dive trip. I never thought that spear fishing would be so much fun. The pole spear seems to have plenty of power for the fish I was after (Flounder). It took me a little bit to get used to using the thing, but I was able to get 2 nice size flounder for dinner.

The nice thing about the pole spear is that I don't have to worry about the other divers nearly as much as I would with a real spear gun. Of course I am really careful, but what I am saying is the spear never leaves your hand.

Of course now that I bought and used the thing, I wished I would have purchased one that came apart for travel. What was I thinking? How can I bring that thing on a plane?

Has anyone ever converted a standard spear to come apart for travel? Let me know how you did it and if it worked out well.

hbh2oguard
07-27-2007, 04:33 AM
yea all the time, take a chop saw cut in half and bring along the welder to put it back together:)

acelockco
07-27-2007, 04:43 AM
I was thinking of doing exactly that, but instead of welding back the aluminum (welding aluminum is very difficult) I was thinking a threaded insert of some sort or maybe a few 1/4" holes and one of those spring loaded pins. Like you would have on a beach umbrella.

hbh2oguard
07-28-2007, 05:31 AM
yea or a nut on one end and the post of a bolt on the other

acelockco
07-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Well, I think a nut and bolt would not only be ugly, but it would probablly make the thing lopsided and give it something to get caught on.

henrythomas
10-23-2009, 07:17 AM
ImpactSpearing.com offers the highest quality JBL spear shafts. Standard with 2" flopper or 6mm thread tipped with 2 wishbone slots. Spear shafts are upgradeable to 3" floppers and additional loading wishbone slots, each slot is capable of routinely holding two bands.End of JBL pole is 6mm male threaded.

acelockco
10-23-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't want to buy a new one, I just want to modify the one I already have. It doesn't really matter because I don't even use the thing.

Jon Shaw
03-14-2011, 03:15 AM
Since you guys were just talking about JBL, here is a promo that we just shot for them, we are working on a longer more informative infomercial type also

http://www.vimeo.com/18072870

The Publisher
03-14-2011, 04:26 AM
Jon, I remember seeing that promo piece, nice work!

Jon Shaw
03-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Thanks mate,

Actually was thinking about you last week as I ended up doing my inspo course for a job that I'm shooting at the moment. They are awesome aren't they.

The Publisher
03-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Yes, as is the new bailout valve, new silicone bite piece and especially the temp stick, where I now take about half the lime I used to as I easily get 6-8 hours out of a scrubber on no deco dives.

BUT.....have you seen the the Cis-Lunar Mark 6?

acelockco
03-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Thread hijackers.....POLE SPEAR not rebreather. ;)

The Publisher
03-18-2011, 11:27 PM
>guilty as charged! ;)