PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Pennsylvania

aerospot
07-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Last March the wife and I took a week out and visited my cousin in Marathon Florida. We took a couple snorkel trips out to the reef when someone recommended 'Snuba'. Noticing a dive shop with 'Snuba' offered, we did a highway 1 u'ie and plucked my buck for the next morning's outing.
Arriving early enough to get fitted with a shortie and some brief instructions, we joined a group of divers on board and made our way out to "Pillar Patch" and "The Horseshoe". That was it, I was hooked.
I will be doing my open water dives in August and anxiously anticipate returning to those same places, and many others! My only regret,... why didn't I do this sooner!?!?

Here are some pictures.http://aerospot.5gbfree.com/WebPics%20Florida%20Keys/index.html

Dave

Sarah
07-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi Big Dave, welcome to the ScubaMagazine.net Forum..

I think everybody who tries scuba wonders what they were thinking not doing it before!

acelockco
07-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Aerospot,

Next month after you get your c-card, drop me an email and I will guide you to some nice diving areas right here in PA. Good luck in your class.

Locke
07-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Hello everyone i just signed to ScubaMagazine and decided to announce myself.
I am currently working in Saudi Arabia where i did my PADI Training and i have recently complete the Advance Water Course. I am into underwater photography (i'll post photos ASAP).
I am planning for the next year a diving trip in Philippines and i would like as much information you can provide through your experiences in that area (diving, locations, hotels, diving packages etc.)

Thanks in advance,

Locke

lottie
07-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey Dave, welcome aboard. I think most of us wish we'd started scuba diving sooner than we did, but once you've done your Open Water, I'm sure they'll be no stopping you!!!

aerospot
07-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey Dave, welcome aboard. I think most of us wish we'd started scuba diving sooner than we did, but once you've done your Open Water, I'm sure they'll be no stopping you!!!

There's an issue of $$ that will slow me from the pace I would like to have but you're right, no stopping me now!!

Thanks for the reply!

Dave

aerospot
07-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Aerospot,

Next month after you get your c-card, drop me an email and I will guide you to some nice diving areas right here in PA. Good luck in your class.

I'm located near Erie at the NW corner of the state. My house is 1 mile from Lake Erie. I have anticipated many dives onto the various wreck sites that dot the Erie shoreline. Other than that I really hadnt considered other dive locations here in the keystone state...

For sure the once or twice per year vacations to tropical reefs wont be enough to keep me satisfied. And talk of a dry-suit to dive below the thermolcline in Lake Erie doesn't excite me... (I've ordered a 7mm Farmer John)

I'll definitely be in touch! Thanks!!

Dave

aerospot
07-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi Big Dave, welcome to the ScubaMagazine.net Forum..

I think everybody who tries scuba wonders what they were thinking not doing it before!

I guess that the XL John I just ordered qualifies me for the "Big Dave" moniker but,... I'm workin on it...

Thanks for the warm greetings. It would be an honor and privilege to mix bubbles with you and others in this board someday!

Dave

acelockco
07-16-2007, 04:53 PM
And talk of a dry-suit to dive below the thermolcline in Lake Erie doesn't excite me... (I've ordered a 7mm Farmer John)

Dave

Welcome aboard Dave,

I am also a PA diver. Let me tell you something before you spend the money on the 7mm Farmer John. The thought of diving with a dry suit should really excite you. I started out using a 7mm farmer john and froze my rear end off for a long time. I always thought of the huge expense of the dry suit and then thought it would be a real pain to use, put on, take off and uncomfortable. Well let me tell you I was WRONG on every count, except the cost.

Drysuits are very expensive, but there are deals to be found if you take your time and really look. As far as everything else goes, they are obviously much warmer than any wetsuit. They are easy to put on and take off (back zippers require someone to unzip and zip you up). They are comfortable to wear and are not that hot at the surface. I can suit up and be pretty comfortable while getting gear ready in 85-90 degree weather. Once the suit is on, it just feels like you are ready to go skiing, not uncomfortable in the least. They are really easy to use, and a quick few hour pool session will have you ready.

If you have any questions about dry suits, I will be happy to help you out. If you dive wet, one of two things will happen. 1. You will eventually decide you are tired of being uncomfortable and cold all of the time and will break down and buy a dry suit. After you get it, you will slap yourself for not getting a dry suit earlier. 2. You will dive less because you are always cold, and that sucks!

You can take the class for about $60-90 and it includes the use of a drysuit so you can decide on your own before you invest in the dry suit.

Daddy-h2O
07-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Check out local clubs and quarries. We were part of DUI Dog days for less than $15 we were able to dive in all the DUI drysuits we wanted for a day and then they provided coupons for $200 off a purchase. (Keeping in mind that these suits are at the high end) A few weeks later at the same quarry they had White dry suits there doing something similar. If all else fails your local shop may offer a Drysuit experiance in a pool. (This is how I changed my mind) With the drysuit I have been able to dive year round and I am North of you- near Syracuse NY) I like being in a wetsuit in asmuch as I feel more part of the enviroment, but the diving during the winter monthes can be awe inspiring as fresh water vis can be as much 60' or better in some of our lakes. Minimual boat traffic and no alge blooms to destroy the viz.

Don't rule one out completly, because the minute you get drysuit certified you will again kick yourself for not doing this sooner! Ofcourse drysuit diving is not for everyone and thats okay too.

aerospot
07-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Check out local clubs and quarries.

Don't rule one out completly, because the minute you get drysuit certified you will again kick yourself for not doing this sooner! Ofcourse drysuit diving is not for everyone and thats okay too.

Well, the 7mm is on its way. We will be doing our OW in wetsuits and figured I'd just get it and be done with it. However after reading posts here and elsewhere, I'm think'in that a drysuit may be in my future if I plan to dive with any frequency, and I would very much like to!

As Ace has indicated there are some deals to be had and I'll keep my eye out. I will be inquiring into training for diving in a drysuit tomorrow at class. They have already gotten all of us to sign up for advanced OW!

Funny, while in Florida last March,they advised a full suit and I had opted for a shortie after swimming around in just swim trunks during my snorkeling ventures. The water was around 73 F and they all went "Brrrrr" after diving in.. Perhaps I should just move to the Keys?!?

acelockco
07-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Well, if moving to the Keys is an option, they you can forget the drysuit completely!

As far as the Great Lakes, even in the middle of the summer, the water is quite cold at depth.

aerospot
07-17-2007, 01:45 AM
Well, if moving to the Keys is an option, they you can forget the drysuit completely!

As far as the Great Lakes, even in the middle of the summer, the water is quite cold at depth.

Oh how I wish that I could move to the Keys!! But, with all 3 kids established within 4 miles of us, and with them 9 grandkids,... I aint goin nowhere. (At least short of hitting the lotto and all moving there:)

That means Lake Erie diving so I'll be asking Ace & Daddy H2O lots of questions. Looks like a drysuit wont be too far off. I know of at least one dive club associated with the shop that I am learning through. I hope their membership is not prohibitive for me...

acelockco
07-17-2007, 02:08 AM
I'll help you in any way I can. I know Daddy-H20 and I are used to diving in the cold water. Don't worry though, if you can handle the cold you are in for some of the best diving in the world with all of the wrecks that are really preserved in the Great Lakes. Unlike the wrecks in salt water that get destroyed quickly.

Look into if there is a quarry or lake nearby that you can dive in. There are a bunch of state parks in PA that allow diving. Check out this link:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/recreation/scuba.aspx

Ace

Daddy-h2O
07-17-2007, 02:26 AM

I am going to mildly disagree to this statement (respectfully) The smaller lakes this is more of a true statement. ie... Skeanatlas Lake, Owasco Lake, Cayuga Lake and the other Finger Lakes have a significant Thermocline in the summer near or below 40' But are still doable to 100' in a wet suit. This depends on your own comfort level's too. The St. Lawrence tends to run in the summer the same temp from surface to depth. A friend of mine just went up last week and did some dives around 70' or so and stated that there was no thermocline. It was the same temp to depth. This was also the case when I dove the "Robert Gaskin" at 75' a few tears ago. Lake Ontario shallows, 75' or so,tend to do the same thing which was proven to me when I dove the "Mary Kay" @ 50' and the "David W. Mills" Which is between 12' and 25' all in the same temps.
I will close this by saying this has been my experiances and it may vary with others.