PDA

View Full Version : Amazing video of tech diver rescuing freediver

Sarah
01-09-2007, 02:50 AM
This is an amazing video of a tech diver rescuing a freediver attempting to set a world freediving record.

Let's hear it for tech divers!

I can't get it to work, so work, so try this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-8qCIu3q7E4)

freediver
01-09-2007, 04:47 AM
There's nothing showing what your topic is about.. :confused:

texdiveguy
01-09-2007, 01:23 PM
interesting footage............

Humanphibian
01-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah, and they say Tech Divers are crazy....:confused:

IMO the Free Divers are the guys (and Girls:) ) that are out of their minds! They go CRAZY deep, then right back up.....makes me dizzy just thinking about it....throw in a shallow water blackout or two....FORGET IT! I'll gladly hump my doubles and stages all day long, any day of the week, rather than try what they do.

freediver
01-09-2007, 02:56 PM
First off, this isn't freediving - this is what is termed "No Limits diving" There is no physical exertion involved here. Many in the freediving community don't even consider this something to discuss - including myself. I have talked with several world class athletes including Pipin, Audrey Mestre (before her fatal accident), Tanya Streeter, Herbert Nitsch, etc - They do this more for scientific study than anything else.

BTW - Tom Seitas - the freediver in the video, holds the worlds record for static apnea - just shy of 9 minutes I believe.

Unless you have truly received proper freedive training and experience it for yourself - scuba divers will continue to make uninformed statements like freedivers being out of their minds. I USE to blow bubbles - now I wonder why anyone would - except if they were needing to. I would rather grab my long blades, low volume mask and snorkel and take my housed video camera and freedive ALL DAY LONG up to 20 meters and shoot video than lug all that extra gear around - my back long ago thanked me for that decision...

Anyone wanting to know what freediving is really about, ask away - I'll do my best to answer as succinctly and honestly as I can.

Humanphibian
01-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Believe me....I say "CRAZY" with the UTMOST respect!! I used to work at Red Bull and had the opportunity to attend a couple of exhibitions and all I could think was "WOW....I'd kill myself trying that". Competative freedivers are some of the most highly discliplined athletes in the world.

I enjoy freediving, but have never taken the time to put forth a serious effort to learn the proper techniques necessary to make extended dives. Perhaps this will be the year....:cool:

Al Mialkovsky
01-09-2007, 03:35 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-8qCIu3q7E4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-8qCIu3q7E4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>Let's see if this will work but I Have a feeling it won't. Very cool video.

Sarah
01-09-2007, 06:05 PM
I guess it just took the magic touch, thanks Al....I was entering the right code, but for some reason it kept adding the http thing after I hit accept. I could onyl see it when I clicked on edit, then I would delete it, clicked accept and I would be back full circle.

Cliff, when I typed up that post, my first reaction was :this isn't freediving, this is riding an underwater sled down and riding a sled back.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

freediver
01-09-2007, 06:19 PM
No worries - I have on more than one occasion dealt with other scuba forums where they were all talk and no credentials to back up their misinformation - sorry if I offended anyone... Cabin fever is setting in up here in the PacNW.. :/

Sarah
01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
No offense taken, most of us are scuba divers, not free divers, so we might not recognize proper freediving if it snuck up and bit us on the bum, so your clarification was quite welcome.

But be careful, your knowlege might make you a guinea pig for volunteer moderator duty if the FreeDiving subforum ever gets crowded enough. :)

freediver
01-09-2007, 09:17 PM
No offense taken, most of us are scuba divers, not free divers, so we might not recognize proper freediving if it snuck up and bit us on the bum, so your clarification was quite welcome.

But be careful, your knowlege might make you a guinea pig for volunteer moderator duty if the FreeDiving subforum ever gets crowded enough. :)
hehe - go figure on the moderator ;)

As a side note - I helped to create the largest single resource on the internet for freediving - Deeperblue.net back in 1999 - DB is the single largest resource on the net for freediving - over 5000+ freediving forum members if I remember right. I was also the freediving editor and also News/Media Editor as well for DB. FYI :)

texdiveguy
01-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I do want one of those masks Freediver is sporting, would go well with my ice diving underhood........ :)

deeptechgnome
01-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Rather him than me :eek:

seasnake
01-31-2007, 06:53 PM
There is a freediving forum ... ? Heck, I'm goin' there now ... :)

WarmWaterdiver
02-17-2007, 11:54 AM
First - Freediver??? Are you saying there is no physical exertion to hold onto the sled as it slides down?
Second - Admittedly, the only thing I know about freediving is Tanya Streeter looks good doing it.
Third - Has anyone tried holding their breath all through the film?
Fourth - Freediver, you free dive 60 meters? Incredible! Most scuba divers never see 60meters except on TV.