PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Wreck Found

Stevect
07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Mystery Red Sea Wreck (http://www.divetheworld.com/Diving/Shipwrecks/redseawreck/)

Going to revisit with scale bars for piccies and take some video. And yes, that's a bell in the debris field.

It was found on a recent exploratory trip in the Red Sea and I hope to be joining another trip and taking my underwater search toys with me.

Steve

acelockco
07-10-2007, 09:39 PM
That is awesome! As a wreck diver and treasure hunter, I love to see virgin shipwrecks appear. Too bad I am so far away....not that the location would be given out anyway, but....

You have to try to get that bell. If it cleans up and you are lucky, you may be able to read the name of the ship on the bell.

Can't wait to see more info./photos/videos!

Babydamulag
07-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Has anyone ever used the US Naval archives to search for a particular wreck? I am interested in finding the location of a Japanese ship sunk by the SS Narwhal in a surface engagement off the coast of Panay, Philippines.

acelockco
07-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I know that John Chatterton and Richie Kohler used Navy records to help identify a wreck they found. The problem is that the Navy records were wrong. The more they looked into things the more discrepencies they found with the Navy records. So be aware the Navy records may be a guess at best on some of these sites.

You may need to get a tow behind metal detector or a sidescan sonar to help you find the wrecks you are looking for. If I could afford to just give up work and such, I would gladly head over there and help you find them, but reality check......